Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running very rich

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I've just changed the Oxygen Sensor on my S1 VN V6 as it was using quite a lot of fuel and idling a bit lumpy. Having done that, it doesn't seem to have made any difference to fuel consumption or the idle. I smelt by the exhaust and it seems to be running very rich. There is also a lot of black soot collecting on the exhaust tip - much more than I would think is normal over a short time.

Over the past couple of months i've changed the injectors for a recon set and cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve. Doing this made a slight improvement to the idle, and fuel consumption went down from 20l/100km to about 15l/100km.

Is the next thing for me to change the Fuel Pressure Regulator (got a spare one here) and Fuel Filter? And if that doesn't work might the fuel pump have anything to do with the problem?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I'll change the regulator over today and see what happens. The plugs,leads and air filter are all a few months old and look to be still good.