Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Runs fine, no logged errors, excess fuel

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
23 lit for 106 kms, driven slowly round town, power mode off, a/c off, 90% in 3rd gear, never driven over 80 kmph, ECU reports no faults, engine runs fine, idles perfectly, takes throttle if asked NP, t/b cleaned not long back, new plugs, leads, filter, lost me.
Not stolen, I don't think so ?

Couldn't ask for it to run better.

Am I not driving it far enough, but at $1.45 per litre who wants to ?, drove 20kms today just to charge the battery & top up with cheaper fuel ($1.32) car ran perfectly.

PROBLEM FIXED, fuel filter / dirty fuel

Last edited:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Leaking to where, I have never smelt fuel ever ? it's got me stuffed.

I used to fill up to the first click / slop and the guage would go well past full, by the time it dropped back to full it had done 100 kms, today it was bouncing between 3/4 and 7/8, so from that I might have to assume someone has pinched at least 5 or more litres ?

I looked at the exterior fuel door and it's not damaged at all, so if there is a trick to opening it and pinching the stuff I would like to know how it's done, only one new car is in our block of units, and he has no money, and has had the car for 2 weeks plus he had a old unreg VS commo parked there for a few months so the two kinda do fit together well, but he honestly ain't smart enuf to open the fuel door, I tried ( but not seriously) and while it would be possible it might need another commodore to play with to make something up for it, I have no idea if the two fuel doors are the same ?

coz the tank before it did it's normal 100 kms before hitting full and it was about 15 / 100kms which is normal round town, and the same car went from Gold Coast to Yeppoon on less than a tank, 640 + kms and still going.

Bottom line I don't want to start spending $ when there is nothing wrong but a theif has taken some ?

Last edited:

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
could be the fuel gauge playing up.
did you say it reads past full?
that may have something to do with it.
and when i go full throttle in my car the fuel drops about 10 litres than rizes back up when i stop.

maybe try a lockable fuel cap.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could have been the way you topped it up - I know that you can dribble another 5 litres in if you want to wait 5 mins. You'd need more than one consumption test to justify excessive fuel consumption. I know that when I fill mine - which is always just after the chime sounds - it can take from 46 to 52 litres to fill for no reason at all.....so going on that variance maybe your fill of 23 litres is in reality minus 6 litres that it was underfilled last time = 17 litres.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Yep, from day one filled to the first click on the bowser it would take the guage near exactly 100 kms past the full reading, about 3/16" past full.

My measurements are from the trip meter reset at each full tank and how many litres it takes, even if the guage was stuffed, the trip meter would also have to be stuffed to give such lousy readings.

If it ran like a dog I might think something was wrong but I can't honestly fault it, smooth idle at 800 rpm, my neighbour commented on it's smooth running (he had a VR) and as for power it goes very well, if needed.

I'm no longer a petrol head but not long back I had to tramp it or get hit by a lunatic in a 4WD at speed and the auto spun both rears (LSD fitted) no problems in the dry so it goes fine, but that is an exception to how I normally drive, I am after all a grandpa and drive like it now days, Errr with the odd exception on the bike...but that's another story.

CAI, K&N, but basically a stock eco V6

Last edited:

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Maybe try replacing the fuel filter, and perhaps get the fuel pressure and regulator checked out also. Could also be a lazy O2 sensor, which may not have failed completely, but is not doing its job properly, which as far as I know doesn't bring up any fault codes on the dash.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Any black smoke coming out of exhaust? could be running rich, maybe bellmouth removed? Coolant Temp. Sensor if faulty will use extra fuel, worth replacing and seeing (only $14).

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Sure it's possible one of the O2 sensors is near to kaput, (VS has 2 of em) but would it not run like a dog with one bank running rich, or does either sensor change the mixture on both banks making all the injectors go rich or is it just one bank at fault ? all plugs were the same colour, sure a tad dark but it's done 250K, uses NO oil.

It runs cool, always has, will only turn on the elec fan if stuck in traffic in summer with a/c running and then when the guage gets to about half way, even then while driving it never goes past the first mark on the guage.

I'll do them anyway, and another filter just to see what happens, coz if what they say about fuel being $2 / lit by years end it has to run well.