Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust in boot wheel well

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
need to get into boot area, and fix the rust which has been in there from 91 holden V8 sitting for 14 years and no movement
cleaned up the crap that had accumulated in the wheel well, then used wire brush to take off the flaky rust, and screw driver to prod around
then used rust blaster from KBS which used on fuel tank to convert some of the rust, and then flushed it off with water after a few rounds and 2--3 hrs

was thinking of fabricating the wheel well up, then came across VN been wrecked, which went for inspection and to my luck the boot floor and wheel well were in pristine condition, so managed to cut this cut carefully around petrol tank. At same time took the VN bonnet which was approx. 97% good as spare ...just in case
not quite the colour match for Maranello Red, however at this stage its least of my issues to deal with as car needs a respray
so now to open up the wheel well and remove the disease section and weld in newish healthy wheel well

anyone got any preferences, or recommendation for seam sealer or would you use Sikaflex 227, which has been recommended to glue on the Aero body panels ? Sikaflex 227 Adhesive - Black, 310mL | Supercheap Auto

Attachments

• existing wheel well with rust.jpg
    existing wheel well with rust.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 126
  • wheel well repair section.jpg
    wheel well repair section.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 121
  • chassis section removed.jpg
    chassis section removed.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 117

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
got to get the repair done and then can throw the recond fuel tank back in and then moving along to fuel pipes, upgrade fuel filter (not sure whether I can use 5/16" or need to upgrade to 3/8" to suit bosch 044 efi pump, and most probably check out injectors when I'm there