Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust in car

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
I bogged up what I could on the car and the last hole seemed pretty weak, so I gave it a hit with the hammer and the bog just cracked as expected. The hole could probably fit a tennis ball through it. There were two more, but I managed to weld and bog them up fine. I guess I could go with smaller areas of bog, but I used mesh and everything and now want to use fibreglass or something similar to fix the area. Im not too concerned about the quality of the job for now as I need the car to get to work so I can fix my other one.

I seen a few fibreglassing kits at supercheap. Should I just fibreglass the back of the hole, then fill from there?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The trick with doing holes is to fill it with as much metal as you can getting it as close to the original surface as you can. Eg: cut the hole bigger than the rust, cut a piece of metal sheeting that will fit snugly in the hole, either mig it or oxy weld it in place, grind it back then fill it with as little as possible of bog. The less bog you use the less weight there is in it and won't be so prone to cracking. Also the prep has to be done right or the bog will have nothing to stick to.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Only got an arc welder and I wont be seeing it until I have to drive to work. I just need the car roadworthy enough and running to get to work for like one week or so starting next monday.

Ill be getting whole new side panels for it in a couple weeks. There is too many little rust holes here and there for my liking. It was restored before I owned it also and after sanding it down it already rerusted in the spots mainly where it was bogged before, so new panels are the go.

Found my problem with the timing, works ok now, just the carby is rooted, so going to find another stromberg in the quokka now.