Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust in my pillar :)

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Scraped of the surface rust this arvo with a scraper doesnt look too deep at all but dunno about down in under the seals and down behind guard will have go when get time

Theres so much mud down in between the seal even on the drivers side too worth checking your own commy there too

Haha do a dodgey on the windscreen guy lol

I havent got insurance but getting third party soon
If there's no damage to the basic steel structure I'd clean out the rust, fix the leak, paint the steel with Feronite to make sure all the rust is gone then repair the cosmetic damage with bog and normal car paint finish.
Most, if not all insurance policies exclude normal wear and tear- including rust.

Muncie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy series 2 v6
Ive got a few spots on my vy i just hit them with the wire wheel leaving clean metal with a few pits, nothing major get some etch primer on it then spray hi build primer on it till you can sand the pits out, puff some colour and clear on gone...... till it pops up somewhere else. Fit a P Brock energy polarizer.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Scraped of the surface rust this arvo with a scraper doesnt look too deep at all but dunno about down in under the seals and down behind guard will have go when get time

Theres so much mud down in between the seal even on the drivers side too worth checking your own commy there too

Haha do a dodgey on the windscreen guy lol

I havent got insurance but getting third party soon

Sounds like your windscreen has never been replaced or your car has been submerged in a flood for there to be mud in both sides?
Had a look in under the the rubber trim on both A pillars of my VZ. After 15yrs basically clean apart from a light film of dust that easily wiped off with a dry rag. Windscreen is still the factory fitted item.

HBDVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy lumina HBD V6 SC
l have that rust lower under the screen but yours needs cutting out you could get pros to do it but cost lots of coin even then some would bog or you could metal bog but either way painful.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@evBenji, since you seem to have muck around the windscreen and behind the fender, I’d take the wheel liners out and blast around the windscreen and wheel arch with a pressure washer, just to clean the years of muck from your vehicle. Sounds like it needs it...

Then since you are in two minds about spending money on this car or buying something else, I’d talk to a windscreen replacement place and see if they can come out and remove the screen one day and replace it some days later (with the same windscreen if it survives and is still legal to use, or with a new one if the scratches are too bad). This should be a conceptually simple decision especially considering you say the windscreen has wiper scratches and you should replace it ;)

Then with yje windscreen out, it should be really easy for you to use a wire wheel on a drill to clean up the rust so you can see what’s going on. You should be able to assess how easy it is to repair... It may be easy to repair or it may need new metal... but you’ll see yourself...

If it’s bad, take it back to the panel shop and see what they suggest should be done and how much it will now cost. I don’t think it’s illegal to drive a car without a windscreen, but I’d check with registration authority, and if ok to drive, just open your back windows and keep to < 60kph if you can (wear glasses or face shield as bugs in an eye at 60pkh isn’t fun).

This will give you some answers in less time than this thread has been going. You can make up your own mind what needs to be done and may even find it’s done and dusted over a weekend.

rossybob

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy berlina
Got the same problem with mine, in the panel shop today $570 with a new windscreen or $470 if they can get the old screen out and back in again without breakage, I think I might have caught mine a bit earlier than yours luckily.....

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
thats not a bad price, my step dad got a grinder onto mine, after i just bit the bullet and starting sanding the rust no matter how it would look after. so far no re-occurrence

rossybob

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy berlina
thats not a bad price, my step dad got a grinder onto mine, after i just bit the bullet and starting sanding the rust no matter how it would look after. so far no re-occurrence
Just got mine back, he showed me photos of the rust problem when they took the screen out, you wouldn`t believe
how bad it was right around the windscreen, so better keep an eye on the rest of your`s Cheers