Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust in my pillar :)

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ideally window out, but personally I would not pay anyone to do that.
I would guess both places are going to bog it.

I would bog it myself and it will last another 5 years..

Sand back with course paper until bare metal (bog does not stick to paint very well)
Smallest tin of bog bog you can buy.
Bog it, sand again with lighter paper, then mask up and undercoat and paint with cans.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
How much to replace the windscreen should be the first question as that defines how much is for the rust repair.

As already mentioned by vc_commodore, that could run out to $400. So the question then becomes what are they going to do for the $1600 you‘re paying?

Will they unpick the spot welds so the whole piece can be removed, clean up and then repair it before welding it back to the vehicle, or just bog it up or something in between? If it’s the first, then that price is rather good, it it’s the later, I’d do it myself.

Me, I’d try and take out the windscreen and and if it breaks it breaks. Then I’d go about cleaning up the rust area with a wire wheel. If you haven’t got any holes, you’ve hit the jackpot so just paint it up but I’d suspect pin holes at a minimum. If you’ve got pin holes you could just braze them up (remove combustible, meltable stuff from the area you are working on before hitting it with flame). If you’ve got massive holes, you should cut out or unpick the offending part and repair it off car with new steel and clean up the welds on both sides.

The problem is you need to also check where and how water has been getting caught in the area and the condition of the pillar internals (the bits you can’t easily see) and whether they are also rusting. You may need to resolve these water entry issues and any hidden rust (which is why it’s best to unpick the panel to gain good access. This IS something that can be done at home if you have some basic welding skills and aren’t afraid of jumping in, but it is time consuming and you‘d really want to keep the car to go to such effort.

Much easier to ask the panel guy what he will be doing and to check up during the various stages of the repair process. That way your satisfied you’re getting your money’s worth and he’s actually doing what he said he’d do. But again, you’ve gotta wanna keep the car and be happy with the money you’re spending on it.

Ps: google A pillar rust repair and you’ll find lots of info and YouTube videos on what to do and what not to do. here’s one article of rust repair of old cars.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/repairing-rusted-a-pillars-the-right-way/

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How much to replace the windscreen should be the first question as that defines how much is for the rust repair.

As already mentioned by vc_commodore, that could run out to $400. So the question then becomes what are they going to do for the $1600 you‘re paying?

Will they unpick the spot welds so the whole piece can be removed, clean up and then repair it before welding it back to the vehicle, or just bog it up or something in between? If it’s the first, then that price is rather good, it it’s the later, I’d do it myself.

Me, I’d try and take out the windscreen and and if it breaks it breaks. Then I’d go about cleaning up the rust area with a wire wheel. If you haven’t got any holes, you’ve hit the jackpot so just paint it up but I’d suspect pin holes at a minimum. If you’ve got pin holes you could just braze them up (remove combustible, meltable stuff from the area you are working on before hitting it with flame). If you’ve got massive holes, you should cut out or unpick the offending part and repair it off car with new steel and clean up the welds on both sides.

The problem is you need to also check where and how water has been getting caught in the area and the condition of the pillar internals (the bits you can’t easily see) and whether they are also rusting. You may need to resolve these water entry issues and any hidden rust (which is why it’s best to unpick the panel to gain good access. This IS something that can be done at home if you have some basic welding skills and aren’t afraid of jumping in, but it is time consuming and you‘d really want to keep the car to go to such effort.

Much easier to ask the panel guy what he will be doing and to check up during the various stages of the repair process. That way your satisfied you’re getting your money’s worth and he’s actually doing what he said he’d do. But again, you’ve gotta wanna keep the car and be happy with the money you’re spending on it.

Ps: google A pillar rust repair and you’ll find lots of info and YouTube videos on what to do and what not to do. here’s one article of rust repair of old cars.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/repairing-rusted-a-pillars-the-right-way/

Further adding to this....They don't necessarily have to unpick the whole area.....Generally, cutting an inch or 2 either side of the effected area is generally enough to remove any rust and potential rust areas.....Also prepping the area once welded in should help prevent further rust developing, along with your suggestion, as to why it rusted to begin with and solving that...I believe copper spray is an effective rust preventative, when welding new pieces in.

The windscreen replacement....That's a 2 pronged area...First, they shouldn't break a windscreen removing it.....That's a straight forward job, if you know what you are doing....If this panel beater is wanting to charge for a newie, says he isn't confident enough to remove it....

The second part to the windscreen is, if your insurance policy allows for a free windscreen every year.....Providing you haven't claimed for a new one this year, if it gets broken, make the call and a new windscreen is free, lessening the cost for the rust repairs.....That's a win in my books :)

Personally I think $2000 is a little over the top for this repair, even factoring in the cost of a new windscreen.....One would think this job could be done and dusted within 4 hours including paint....$500 p/hr to do the job.....That's barrister rates, not panel beating rates (even though I'm unaware of their rates)......

As for the debate over re-welding over bogging....Rust is also known as cancer....Cancer doesn't go away unless it is removed totally....So will leave it upto others to decide which is best...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... straight forward job, if you know what you are doing...
Yes, that's true for anything, be it removing windscreens, repairing rust or arguing a case at $X/hr (i'm also unaware of their rates though i suspect some aren't worth what a fair panel beaters would charge).

The difficult part is actually finding people who really know what they are doing, are honest and don't cheat... :(

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I kinda dont wanna put more money into car if this is eating away...271,000kms on it

Unless you are in love with it, bog it and flog it. There will be rust appearing in other places soon.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Wouldn't surprise me if this rust is the result of paint damage caused during a previous windscreen replacement.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
According to EYY it's a common fault on VYs. I'd be thinking the issue stems back to the factory robots not applying enough paint to the inside of that pillar.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, that's true for anything, be it removing windscreens, repairing rust or arguing a case at $X/hr (i'm also unaware of their rates though i suspect some aren't worth what a fair panel beaters would charge).

The difficult part is actually finding people who really know what they are doing, are honest and don't cheat... :(

I know rates have gone up, but about 5 years ago, I was quoted $3500 to remove and replace the boot on my VC....That was to remove about 1/4 the way up the rear quarters (if that makes sense :) )...Yes I was to supply the boot that was required because the panel beater had no idea where to get one from, but all the same, more work than what is required with the op's car.....

Here's a shot of the damage I am referring to

1610865221915.png

1610865239166.png

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
According to EYY it's a common fault on VYs. I'd be thinking the issue stems back to the factory robots not applying enough paint to the inside of that pillar.

So only VY's, not VT, VX or VZ's?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So only VY's, not VT, VX or VZ's?
Don't know, I just said what EYY said. It happened with some later models, in different spots though. I haven't noticed any issues with VRs and I have checked a lot of VR and VS at the wreckers, haven't really seen it on VPs and VNs either, not around the windscreen anyway.