Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust in my pillar :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you think about it it's a logical assessment. The robots might have not been set up quite right and as a result rust forms due to thin paint. Having not seen it on earlier models I say my guess has some weight to it. Having said that I might be wrong but I don't see anyone else providing a logical reason for it occuring.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Nah just seen it in a few vt-vz. Last one I dealt with had been bogged previously and so rust was much worse than the pics in this thread.

It almost seems like they rust from the inside out in some cases, but generally looks like the rust is very isolated to the bottom section of the pillar.

Sometimes rust can start from damaged paint during a previous windscreen replacement too. I wouldn’t have expected these vehicles to be rusting if I hadn’t seen it myself..

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Seen a few VT to VZ's with rust in different places.
Some wagons get rust in the lower cornes of the tailgate glass.
My VZ wagon has rust spots on the seams along the sills when you open the rear doors.
Easy fixed with a small wire brush and a bit of oil stops it going further.

Which brings me to a conclusion, the more you wash the car the better chance you have of seeing problems before they get too bad.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
wow guys thanks some sensational feedback there

so I had 2 quotes, one from a top line vintage car restoration joint (up to $2000 with new window), and the other was your standard panel beater around the corner ($700 with same window)

i personally would want a new window, mine has some wiper scratches plus more

the car, although just a v6 mang executive, is immaculate excluding the roof lining, and most people say wow thats a good looking VY, as ive collected SS parts all through it, lowered it, dark tint and avanti mags

20201222_090517.jpg

so if was to take on the panel beater, it would be the $700 job plus the window might have me up to $1000. he seemed very articulate and showed me a ford falcon he was working on and looked to be thoroughly well done. he too believed the window has already been replaced

so take a grand out of my savings and keep the car until it dies

OR

get a VE 2010 sportswagon $10,000 with 180,000kms on it and this will wipe my savings totally i will be broke lol....plus then further costs of what ever is wrong with this....plus now petrol is sky rocketing yet again so it could be 4 cylinder time

at this stage id like to kill whatever is there and make a mess and sand paper it out, even spray with fish oil?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Sounds like you are already leaning towards the Panel beater with the $700 quote + a new windscreen.
If you have the funds book it in and get it fixed.
Perhaps get the headliner replaced at the same time. The panel beater will probably have a 3rd party they use for that.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
wow guys thanks some sensational feedback there

so I had 2 quotes, one from a top line vintage car restoration joint (up to $2000 with new window), and the other was your standard panel beater around the corner ($700 with same window)

i personally would want a new window, mine has some wiper scratches plus more

the car, although just a v6 mang executive, is immaculate excluding the roof lining, and most people say wow thats a good looking VY, as ive collected SS parts all through it, lowered it, dark tint and avanti mags

View attachment 218330

so if was to take on the panel beater, it would be the $700 job plus the window might have me up to $1000. he seemed very articulate and showed me a ford falcon he was working on and looked to be thoroughly well done. he too believed the window has already been replaced

so take a grand out of my savings and keep the car until it dies

OR

get a VE 2010 sportswagon $10,000 with 180,000kms on it and this will wipe my savings totally i will be broke lol....plus then further costs of what ever is wrong with this....plus now petrol is sky rocketing yet again so it could be 4 cylinder time

at this stage id like to kill whatever is there and make a mess and sand paper it out, even spray with fish oil?

Got the option on an insurance policy for a new windscreen every year? This would definately save a few bucks

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
another option is @evBenji is call a mobile windscreen operator to take out windscreen, if he breaks it you get a new one, .....then fix the rust area yourself much cheaper and touch up paint can... then call mobile windscreen operator back to instal your old or new windscreen.
Best costaffective way to get the job down for the time being until you get another car.

Its like your cheap repair aint gonna affect the trade in value.... but 1 to 2K aint worth spending on that car when its not even something mechanical to fix to drive it.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Ideally window out, but personally I would not pay anyone to do that.
I would guess both places are going to bog it.

I would bog it myself and it will last another 5 years..

Sand back with course paper until bare metal (bog does not stick to paint very well)
Smallest tin of bog bog you can buy.
Bog it, sand again with lighter paper, then mask up and undercoat and paint with cans.

100% agree with this. It's on the A-pillar which is narrow and easy to paint and blend up high out of sight. Acrylic base coat and clear is avail at auto shops and even rust neutralising products are pretty good these days. Job should last for years and cost less than $100.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Scraped of the surface rust this arvo with a scraper doesnt look too deep at all but dunno about down in under the seals and down behind guard will have go when get time

Theres so much mud down in between the seal even on the drivers side too worth checking your own commy there too

Haha do a dodgey on the windscreen guy lol

I havent got insurance but getting third party soon