Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust in my pillar :)

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
So yea see below my series 2 vy has this

Ive gotten quotes in mt barker south australia

2000 with new window at a pro joint

And 700 with the same window at a little joint around corner

But should i attack it?

I kinda dont wanna put more money into car if this is eating away...271,000kms on it

And probably needs full set of brakes. The rest of car is immaculate excluding roof lining

So if i bog it whats first step? Sand it back?

20210116_204658.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That needs fixing properly and to do it it's windscreen out unfortunately.

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bog is a tempary fix....To do it properly, the offending rusted section should be cut out and new metal put in....

You shouldn't need a new windscreen...It needs to be removed yes, but if they break it, they aren't really good....

Kays are good for that model....When I was looking at this era Commodore to buy, I was seeing them with 300,000+ and in fair nick....If yours is as good as you say and the kays are as you say, sinking more dollars into it would be beneficial, unless you are planning on selling it soon

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Another thought...Check your insurance policy.....If you decide to get the rust cut out and by some chance they break your windscreen, your insurance policy might cover a new windscreen for free....So that quote including a windscreen should come down... :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Could I suggest a more extreme option of finding another VY for $2000 and swapping almost everything good over.

Have a hybrid.

Then part off the remaining things and keep important parts you might require at a later date.

You’ll make back a fair bit. Get some money for the body at a metal recycler, and have parts for the future.

Great cars, the VY. A more favoured engine.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That needs fixing properly and to do it it's windscreen out unfortunately.
The mold can be pulled up if the windscreen sealant hasn’t contacted too much or the mold when it was fitted.

It is possible to fix this rust without removal, and it’s actually a seemingly common rust area for these vehicles - I’m not sure how/why. Especially possible using a tig welder where you can concentrate the arc and heat input.

Don’t ask me how I know...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
:p... how do you know?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thinking more about this....$2000 to fix the rust with a new windscreen supplied and fitted by a mob in Prospect seems a little rich.....Windscreens for this are $185 or $385 from a mob in Prospect.....Can't remember the exact price.....So $1600 to fix the rust.....Hummm bit pricey me thinks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Could I suggest a more extreme option of finding another VY for $2000 and swapping almost everything good over.

Have a hybrid.

Then part off the remaining things and keep important parts you might require at a later date.

You’ll make back a fair bit. Get some money for the body at a metal recycler, and have parts for the future.

Great cars, the VY. A more favoured engine.

From what I found round Adelaide, for $2,000 his sounds better..... :) IMA that was about 9 months ago, so before the covid tax came into effect

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How does one fix that properly I know how my oldman would of hidden it out with the screen if he was in a good mood sand it to bare metal ,knock it in a couple of mill to give the filler a little depth and fill it .In the hour of time this vehicle has left on the road it'll be right he'd say. That method is only hiding the rust for a couple of years .