Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust-Oleum Garage Floor Coating

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jecs, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute

a number of years ago i scored a 10lt tin of industrial floor paint, but over the years it has ripped up and gone a bit tired from not clear coating it.

been on the back of my mind to redo it but never had the reason to until i saw an add for this brand Rust-Oleum Rock Solid at Bunnings.

heres the range of products and colours: https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=garage floor paint&redirectFrom=Any

i really loved the gunmetal marbel look and ideally thats what i want to buy. ive really got no experience with painting - and the how to videos are very basic. im not too sure how many square meters my garage is but i think ill need 2 boxes + clear coat and probably that etch stuff.

has anybody used this stuff before? or interested in using it?

EDIT: just went and measured my shed. roughly 9x6=54sqm so i would need 3 boxes. jeez getting pricey now!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Risky

Risky Guest

I was thinking about painting my garage floor as it's concrete with a few marks here & there I've tried to move. I've never done it before so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

3. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    The floor of the Gosford Car Museum is painted/sealed with ....... dunno, but it sure looks good. Hard to describe, rocky marble ? Not granite, or polished concrete.
    Perhaps ask them what it is.

4. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    You need to etch the concrete so whatever you coat it with will stick. Like sanding your car before you paint.
    In the past I have used the product below, after using hydrochloric acid diluted with water. You put the acid and water in a watering can and cover the concrete and let it dwell for 5-10 minutes, then rinse off with water. I can't remember the ratio but the guys at a proper paint shop will know.
    Make sure you use a proper respirator, gloves and protective footwear and safety glasses when using the acid, that **** will burn your lungs, eyes and skin.

[​IMG]

5. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    Hopefully it's better than Never Wet, that stuff was a let down and a half