Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust-Oleum Garage Floor Coating

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute

So a couple of guys have asked me about my garage floor paint and thought id post this up as a little guide.

1st thing: Dont be intimidated by this (I know I was) a person with no experience painting can easily do this.

My shed is 9x6 - I worked out I would need 3x Boxes of the 1 Car Garage kits. I bought my Rustoleum Metallic Gunmetal Floor Kit (1-Car garage) From Supercheap on special from $239.99 down to $159 a box. To give you an idea of how much product you need, in each Rust box theres 2x Bags of the Polycuramine Burst Pouch. 1x Pouch will do 1x Square. (In my pictures, the expansion joint cut outs I classify as 1x square)

Link: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...car-garage/527020.html?cgid=SCA011007#start=8

Shed1.jpg

-------------------------------------

Before ANYTHING, while youre at Supercheap, pull the product out of the boxes and make sure none of the Pouches have split. One of mine had split and you could see in the bag the product has been sitting spilt there awhile. Unfortunately I grabbed the last boxes at my Supercheap so I had to soldier on with it.

Cleaning the concrete: I watched heaps of videos of people prepping their floor with concrete sanders, acid wash and other expensive products and still have issues with the end product. I did none of this. I went to Coles/Woolies and bought 6 bottles of Bleach which cost me under $10. With a pressure washer, a mop and hot water I would:

- Wash
- Mop the floor with bucket of hot water w/ 2x bleach
- Wash out
- Wash out

The Rust boxes also come with a pack of 'Concrete Etch' and with a bristle brush I scrubbed the concrete and did a final wash out.

I also bought concrete crack filler. I poured the crack filler into the concrecte, waited for it to dry then scrapped the excess off so the filler was only in the crack, not on top of the concrete. I scrapped it off because I has watched videos of other people doing it and you could see the repair through the paint.

Link: https://www.bunnings.com.au/gripset-betta-1l-concrete-crack-filler_p0960222

shed7.jpg

1. If you are buying this product I strongly recommend you go down to Bunnings and buy a CHEAP tin of paint for a base coat. example: If youre laying the gun metal colour, go buy a cheap tin of charcoal colour paint. This will make it so you dont need to do a second coat of Rustoleum (which costs big $$) and the base coat will help dramatically with the marbel effect. My floor had a light gray paint from years ago,which helped, but darker would have been ideal

2. do NOT use the rollers that come with the kits, burn them, go to Bunnings and buy the 1x 280mm CONCRETE roller. They spread more consistently and easier than the boxed ones.

3. do NOT pour the product on the concrete as it shows on DVD and youtube videos. You will chew through the product that way. Use a paint roller tray and pour the product into that.

4. do NOT try to do the same marbel effect in each section. You'll notice the inconsistency when you stand back. each section should have a different pattern in a different direction so your eyes never focus on one thing.

shed2.jpg

shed5.jpg

The product is strong, highly glossy, looks fantastic and a person with zero experience can do this.

the end result should look like this!

NiGHTS%20%283%29.jpg

NiGHTS%20%282%29.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks good, I just worked out it will cost me $1000 to do my new shed providing I can get it at the same price you paid. Certainly food for thought.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Great info, thanks for sharing!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Good info here, one of the guys I work with did similar with one of the lighter colours in his new shed and loves it. May have to do it on a future shed one day.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
That looks awesome! I have been meaning to do my garage floor for a while now but I baulk at the cost...

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Is this water based? So you would get a water based base coat?

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Looks good and different, hmmm a 2 pac metallic pearl or black n white chequered flag would look super clean.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Looks awesome.
Does it get affected by the sunlight ? I want to do a carport which is enclosed on 3 sides and gets some direct sunlight in on the north east side.
I did my sheds over 15 years ago with some expensive concrete paint from Bunnings. It would take months for me to clear it out, clean it and paint again.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
We did something similar at work once. Although it was just a solid light colour
Cant remember what the product was called (industrial spec), but it stood up to hundreds of trucks in and out constantly along with a fair few chemicals that normally strip most things
Actually really handy for when you have to slide along, was super smooth.

Do like the shiny finish of this though.