Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rust on a 2004 VY S II

daveee90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
Gday,

Ive been after a new car for a while now and wanna get a 04 vy s, preferablly in manual and purple in color...

impossible to find a manual that isnt a good 3-4000 dearer, or with an extra 50,000kms more than average..

anywho, i found a nice one the other day, auto but... 82,000kms and only been drivin 5000 in the last year..

looks good on the outside, no leaks or anything like that on the inside, drives as it shuld.

the only thing i was worried about, is there was a fair bit of rust inside the engine bay, i know i should have got photos but i didnt think of it at the time. it wasnt just like rusty water either, came off when i picked at it, there was some at the front of the engine, and some at the back..

he says if anything itd be from putting his boat in the water up along the river.

anyway, how bad would the rust be? i dont wanna spend $200 to get an racv check just to find out if the rust is bad or okay, so any opinions will be good. hes asking $17,000 for it, but i offered him 15 and he said yeh.. so is that okay? or with the rust and all should i just stay away from it?

Thanks heaps

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
tbh mate i wouldnt buy a car of that year if it had any rust, exteremely devalues the car imo, keep searching around you'l find another one..

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
if it has rust now whats it gonna be like in a few years salt water is bad it ****s everything up

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If he's managed to get salt water into the engine area, where else has it been immersed? Chances are that the rear of the car will have rust too, assuming he backs his boat into the water.

Give it a miss.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
stay away mate, salt water really messes up cars, everything screws up. that's why you mostly try to keep away from cars sold on the coast.

if he used it for his boat, if their was any rust wouldn't it be at the back end, because that's the only part that could touch the water, when he reverses to put the boat in the water from his trailer.

why would it be rusty in the engine bay? It might of even been in a flood (maybe even check if all the electricals work),

not much explanation or cause for rust on a car that really isn't old.

and if theirs rust in the engine bay, im sure its in many other places

daveee90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
Yeah i didnt think anyone would be happy with the rust.
Sucks a bit but thanks for your replies.. i guess ill keep looking!!
Cheers.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Yeah i didnt think anyone would be happy with the rust.
Sucks a bit but thanks for your replies.. i guess ill keep looking!!
Cheers.

yeh its tempting, ahh that sucks a bit, it was what you were looking for right?
but serious don't ever bother with rusty cars, so many dramas.
just keep looking mate, thiers always good cars on the market, you just gotta find em,

Just be patient, the worst thing to do when looking for a car, is to buy the first one you see and like, look at heaps and compare