Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rust where spare tyre sits

missholdenvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubsport
Ive put the question to a few mates meant to be in the know, but wanted a real answer. Under the spare tyre its rusty and wondered if anyone can tell me what I have to do to fix it? Some say it needs to be welded, others say it doesnt..confused..its the first time Im about to tackle a rust fix on my own (dont tell me to go pro, Im all about the living off the smell of an oily rag here) links/you tube vids to help or just your know how would work too:surprise:

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
the best way to fix it is to cut out the spare wheel well and weld in a new piece, that's how its usually done

missholdenvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubsport
Cool thanx for the reply

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
how bad is it? when others say it doesnt have to be welded how else do they think you get rid of rust other than cut it out?

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
I would look at it from this angle, how long do you intend on having the car? how bad is the rust?

I know it's not ideal but if it's just your average joe VR commodore and the rust is fairly minor could you fibre glass it? after removing as much rust as possible with a wire wheel on a grinder and then etching it with a 10% phosphoric acid and isopropyl alcohol solution, follow up with an epoxy primer and some chassi black.

As I said it's not ideal, however if it's only minor that would be far cheaper and everything mentioned above is easily available.