Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
hey hey people, after much study on my behalf i do beleive i have come up with a way to prevent rust in a older car, this is quite detailed and quite long, but i will try to be as to the point as i can

rust in a car workes on the same principle as rust in a boat, rust in a house (steel works) and rust in kitchen aplaiances, it's all about static electricity.

the older the car, the more static electricity will be generated in the car. this is due to wind from car moving, people washing their car's and heaps of other stuff. i conducted the following test, i had a fishtank with 2 dis-similar metals 1 was steel and the other was cast iron, (tent peg's were what i used) and a 12v battery. when the cast iron was on the negative, and the steel was on the positive the rust would actualy form on the negative electrode due to the fact that the water in the fishtank was salty, and simulated the same conditions in a battery. what i did was i introduced a battery , of quite differeant voltage, around the 1.5v mark, i put 2 little peice's of wire in the solution, as a result there was no rust forming at all, (the rust was only surface rust) my view is that if you connect a battery across the car, e.g. put the negave side of the battery on the negative side of a small battery it should as a result cause the car to discharge threw the smaller battery.

this is a subject of interest for me, should you have any queries, i shall reply to all messages regarding this and why i came to this conclusion.

but before anyone goes of half cocked, just remember, im a quallified electrical fitter mechanice and im studying at the moment part time for my electrical engernering degree, im about 2 year's into that. so my theory isnt something i have just made up, alot of time has gone into this. (besides, it's actualy part of a assesment i have to hand in, kinda killing 2 birds with the one stone here)

chuck

Reaction score
YOU CAN ACTUALLY BUY SOMETHING VERY SIMILER FOR 4X4s SO THEY DON'T RUST AS MUCH ON THE BEACH, SO YOUR ON THE MONEY!!!!

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
yes ive heard of that somwhere else you can buy one of those electric gadgets,,,but you just raised another interesting point,when the mother in law comes over she always wants to borrow my vp 5 litre comodore to nick around the shops she likes to feel the power.what if next time she is coming over i might wire up 240 volts across the car,,,imagine that no more mother in law nicking my car,,,interesting thought