Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust

85_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais Ei
My car has a tiny bit of rust on the front fender and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good technique for repairing it or reducing its visibility without damaging the surrounding paint?

This is the only real defect in the paintwork, so I don't really want to have to go to a panel beater to get it cut out and have half the car resprayed to blend the paint.

I have rust converter and touch up paint ordered off the net and it seems to be a pretty good match.

DSC04404 1.jpg

Lamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL + LH Torana + VZ Crewman
Sand the small area back to metal, apply rust converte, sand again until the area is clean of all rust (repeat if the rust is still there),etch prime, prime, sand, colour. All this should be able to be dome in a couple of hour with some spray cans.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its probably coming through from the other side so i would take the guard off and have a look to be sure. But not much you can do short of sanding back and respraying.

85_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais Ei
Thanks for the replies.

I pulled it apart a few years ago and the rust seems to be forming where the two panels join together, so I can't really get to it from underneath. It's been cleaned out and sprayed with fish oil so I'm hoping it doesn't get too much worse.

What I really need is a sanding device that is about the size of the top of a pen so that I can just target the rust only, but I don't think anything like that exists!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR