Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust?

V3N0M

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 magna exec
just wondering if there was an easy way to find rust? and once i find it an easy way to remove it and put a temporary cover on it so water dont get in?

thanks
james

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Look for bubbled paint, a sign of "cancer". To remove it well you need to either cut it out or go nuts with a die grinder to clean all the old rust out. once its clean and should look like shiny metal spray Etch primer, maybe a few coats them primer then paint what colour you want.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
If you're concerned about rust that may have been bogged over, grab a magnet. Bog is porous so any moisture getting onto that will rust out the underlying unprotected steel. So if the magnet grips there's no bog there. If it doesn't a repair has been done there with bog and that's a likely candidate for rust. For the VB-VL check the rear quarter panels down low, door skins down low, the spare wheel well, the boot floor and around the rear window. Also, look for any paint bubbles, that's the starter because there is a volume expansion when the iron in the steel oxidises (rusts).

Any moisture in the atmosphere will attack exposed steel so covering it up won't help much. Where have you got water leaking? As to temporary fixes, for any interior stuff where you're not worried about the paint finish scrape off/grind all the rust scale you can and try rust converter and/or fishoil. That will provide a reasonable barrier. A more permanent measure is POR-15. But the only true way is to cut out the rusty piece and weld in a replacement section.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i found a heap of rust by getting a vh :p

i think demons has summed it up pretty good. on my vh, it was rusted in the following places -

rear corners of the front doors
passenger side sill
boot floor
spare wheel well
the panel under the bumper
the bumper mounting brackets
passengers foot well
passengers side rear wheel arch at the bottom front
the panel at the base of the windscreen
windscreen frame - both front and rear
around the tail lights
there was a hole or two in the panel where the number plate goes
rear passenger side floor (that had been cut out and replaced at some stage)
the roof had surface rust

that's about it. i have a feeling it was used to launch boats.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
vh-holden said:
that's about it. i have a feeling it was used to launch boats.
Nah, it didn't launch them, it was the boat!!

That's an extensive rust list, must have spent its life right near the sea.

V3N0M

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 magna exec
thanks guys ^_^ only rust so far i have found on the vh is near the back wheels under the door.. praying theres no more! lol. they have tried to cover it by painting an inch thick coat of black paint over the top. *shakes head* but owell not bad for 300 bucks :p

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
get it fixed properly as soon as you can. i got the vh in 2001 and it was in alright condition. the sills rusted out in the last 2 years of owning it.

in the vs, the wheel well has rusted out in the last 6 months.

then again, darwin is pretty damp for 6 months of the year

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Look at my x project site area mate, ive done rust work in part 2 the infomation there might help..

Finding rust is upto you take a closer look eg. bubbles in the paint.. if u find spots just tap lightly with your finger around the area and see how far the rust area is on top, you won't know how deep it is until your grind away or sand.. You may even be suprised that most of it could just be surface rust, the top layer..

The boot is a different stroy and there's a few ways u an go about it which is upto you.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
a biggy to keep an eye out for is rust under the bonnet in the well near ur interior fan. on each side there is a drain hole, but this can block. then the water makes its own hole and low and behold, u have water down the main door pillar.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Also check for rust in the drain areas under your radiator.