Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rusted front strut retaining nut

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Has anybody successfully removed the retaining nut from a rusted strut thread. My 1/2 inch rattle gun just spins the piston and iv already stripped the top tryna hold it with a 10mm socket the nut was pretty tight in rust but the retaining nut started moving which is a start. Strut has been sitting for a bit n got a bit of rain on it at some point. Need to get it apart n replace the top bearing. I’m thinking about grinding a few flats where it’s stripped n put a big shifter on it or buy some stilsons. sprayed some diesel penetrant at it, might be better to use the trusted wd40

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It helps if you undo the top nut and then undo or at least crack the top nut while the strut is still in the car and the car is sitting on the ground.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
If ya have the car jacked up get some vise grips on the shaft between the spring then undo the nut

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Is there enough room to use a nut splitter ?

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks for your help fellas I’ll throw this rusted strut on the car n drop it, wasted a few hours today tryna hold that piston. The strut that come off the car came apart easy with the rattle gun

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
WD40 overnight,
And a rattle gun with a deep 24mm socket in the morning.

Oops, just read the previous comment, :rolleyes:
great minds think alike ;)

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Not even wd40 n a rattle gun would come to the party. Ended up leaving it under the weight of the car, grinder cold chisel n shifter to work the nut off. Screwed a new nut on took the strut off n rattled it apart.

Don’t do it this way anyone looking for guidance. Ask someone else in here. You’ll wreck the strut if you damage the shaft thread

Last edited: