Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RWD Falcon death is all but confirmed, Commodore is safe well into the next decade.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ford Falcon to ditch rear-wheel-drive

Years of heritage could be axed with the Ford design chief all but confirming the end of the traditional rear-drive Falcon.

The rear-wheel drive Australian-designed Ford Falcon is almost certainly dead.

Instead, the next generation Falcon due after 2015 seems certain to be part of a global front and all-wheel drive family of large cars.

Ford Motor Company’s global design chief J Mays all-but confirmed the news long-dreaded by Aussie 'Blue Oval' fans at the Detroit motor show today.

“I wouldn’t be holding my breath for a rear-wheel drive Falcon,” Mays told Drive. “I think the chances are we will be all-wheel-drive.”

Mays acknowledged the news would be met with shock and dismay among Australian Ford fans, who celebrated the nameplate’s 50th anniversary in 2010.
Ford Falcon to go all-wheel-drive | Ford axes rear wheel drive

Rear-wheel-drive 'critical' to Commodore future

Rear-wheel-drive is expected to remain a key selling point of future Holden Commodores well into the next decade with an imminent decision on the locally-made large car’s future.

Holden has reinforced that the locally-produced Commodore has a prosperous future as a large rear-wheel-drive car.

The brand that has built the best-selling car for 15 years running also says a return to a four-cylinder model to save fuel is not in keeping with the traditional six- and eight-cylinder engines found in Australian-made large cars.

Comments by chairman and managing director Mike Devereux ahead of the 2011 Detroit motor show suggest Holden will stick with a rear-wheel-drive architecture, which is considered superior for driving dynamics and high performance versions, well into the next decade.
Rear-wheel-drive 'critical' to Commodore future

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I always knew ford was run by retards but this just takes the cake, diidn't they take any notice of what happened with the Magna 380...

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
:( a FWD falcon? ew. an AWD falcon would go well as an optional extra. I dont like how aussie cars are being more and more americanized. both commos and falcons

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Easy, our general public is retarded and both companies are owned by american parents.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
front wheel drive falcon :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

an AWD would be alright but its just gonna be a big ugly nothing of a car.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Wow, the Falcon 6 cylinder is fuel thirsty enough without installing an even more inefficient 4WD driveline.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Wow, the Falcon 6 cylinder is fuel thirsty enough without installing an even more inefficient 4WD driveline.

9.9 combined for G6E is thirsty??? Calais V6 is 9.8 massive differences.

Damn.

An AWD XR6T would be bloody brilliant imho. RWD is hardly important to 95% of car owners. Most wouldn't even know they had FWD or RWD lol.

I'd certainly take the option of an AWD G6E Turbo :D

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
what are they doing for engines then? that new coyote v8 with the supercharger would be nice with AWD. horrendous with fwd though

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
I read somewhere that they were gonna axe the falcon full stop , then someone piped up an said they would lose to much business so this is what they come up with , yeah this will help them keep the loyal blue oval fans.:hit:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
9.9 combined for G6E is thirsty??? Calais V6 is 9.8 massive differences.

Damn.

An AWD XR6T would be bloody brilliant imho. RWD is hardly important to 95% of car owners. Most wouldn't even know they had FWD or RWD lol.

I'd certainly take the option of an AWD G6E Turbo :D

Touche Minux. I totally forgot about the new engines, I was still thinking in line with the 4.0L engines. Sorry, I guess I rather slow today.

And I agree, an AWD G6E-T or Coyote would be sweet, just as a AWD 6.3L would rock the house.