Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RYCO SYNTEC Oil Filters For L77 and LS3

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Has anyone used these High Efficiency Ryco oil filters for a L77 and LS3. Cat no Z663ST The Normal Ryco oil filter is Z663

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Has anyone used these High Efficiency Ryco oil filters for a L77 and LS3. Cat no Z663ST The Normal Ryco oil filter is Z663
The Ryco rep was telling me about these two years or so ago. Then they showed up on the online catolouges. My honest opinion on these are they're just a gimmick. If synthetic filter elements made such an improvement over standard paper type filters then the Mercedes, BMW and Audi high performance engines would be using synthetic elements. When I service these high performance euro cars they have cartridge filters (I use Hengst or Purflux) so I can observe the element and it is paper. Hengst and Purflux are OEM manufacturers for a lot of euro cars.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

i use them on my l77 every change and never have an issue, they are probably no different to the normal ryco but i dont care about prices when it comes to fuel and servicing etc.
for most people i cant see any reason the normal ones would not do the job perfectly.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The Ryco rep was telling me about these two years or so ago. Then they showed up on the online catolouges. My honest opinion on these are they're just a gimmick. If synthetic filter elements made such an improvement over standard paper type filters then the Mercedes, BMW and Audi high performance engines would be using synthetic elements. When I service these high performance euro cars they have cartridge filters (I use Hengst or Purflux) so I can observe the element and it is paper. Hengst and Purflux are OEM manufacturers for a lot of euro cars.

All those euro filters also have plastic core don't they

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
i have used the ryco synthetic in my l77 since i got it.has cleaned my oil up no end. dont know if it does anything different to the standard one but my oil is definately cleaner than when i bought it. i figure it cant hurt so why take the chance.
cheers

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
All those euro filters also have plastic core don't they
No the Peugeot and Citron filters which are Purlux/Purfilter have a plastic webbing around a paper element but still have a paper element.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
No the Peugeot and Citron filters which are Purlux/Purfilter have a plastic webbing around a paper element but still have a paper element.

That's what i meant. Filter media is paper but the 'mesh tube' / core, inside is plastic.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
For the Air Cleaner I used RYCO 02 Rush (A1557RP) Now I see that RYCO has a possibly 1% better in the oil filter. By the way I got yesterday the new DOD Filter (For L77 Under the Oil Pressure sensor) and whilst i'm at It it I got Genuine Oil sensor so whenever I change the DOD Filter I will give the car a new sensor and keep the old one as a spare.