Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Huge overhaul for young drivers

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
I drove my entire P's in a VN with about 300kw at the time and I never lost my license or wrote the car off. Driver education is the solution, harsh restrictions are a bandaid solution with potential for revenue raising.

God I hate our government sometimes.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Only an immediate family member/guardian or driving instructor should be able to drive with L platers. They are the ones most likely to point the kid straight. It should not be _any_ full license holder.

just putting this out there, why having only parents etc teach you isnt good.

a cousin of mine was told By Her Parents that she WILL crash no matter what...
however my old man has let her drive around the driveway (just to show it isnt scary, big driveway aswell).
i would never like to get behind a wheel with someone that would tell me straight away "your going to crash"
and i would say it would be 100% better to be with a calm teacher.

Harsh Penalties and Less Restrictions. would make more sense.
eg. caught talking/texting on the mobile phone... loss of licence for 6+ months (which would hoepfully lead to safer driving)

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Agreed with some of the above posts. Get them behind the wheel at 15, start teaching them IN school with a Qualified Driving instructor. Not only will this create more stable jobs, but it will also help the young ones becoming better drivers. Don't teach them in a brand spanking new car with all the new features. Teach them in something like a 5L V8 VN. Put water on the learning track and get them to put their foot down to really show them what can happen if they do it. Then put them in a FWD 89 ford laser and show them the difference. By increasing the hours and age, its just going to build up them up more to really open up the car and do stupid **** when they do get onto their P's. Show them first hand photos of what can really happen at a crash scene and of the Bodies. At the end of the day Peer pressure gets the better of most teens, and unfortunately (Not trying to be sexist here, as I know some girls do it as well) a lot of guys have way to must testosterone flowing through them to really care what COULD happen. Get them into advanced driving programs, show them how to get out of a slide, show them how to have a better reaction time, Show them not to be looking exactly at the car in front of them, but the cars in front and whats happening, but at the same time keeping your eye on the car in front of you. If you ask me a I reckon passing a advanced driving program should be the pass to go onto their provisional license.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I drove my entire P's in a VN with about 300kw at the time and I never lost my license or wrote the car off. Driver education is the solution, harsh restrictions are a bandaid solution with potential for revenue raising.

God I hate our government sometimes.

I used to drive around in my dad's ex-police Aurion on my red P's (It still had the police stickers and lights on it when his work got it at the auctions) and that thing hauled ass but I never crashed it or got done for speeding, or even tried anything stupid because 1, it wasn't my car, and 2, driving was still an "exciting" experience back then, I was like WOAH I CAN GO ANYWHERE I WANT NOW!!! It was fun back then to me, still is now but it's a different fun lol.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I don't get why people are saying it should be mandatory to train in a crazy fast car in school, why? You can live your whole life only driving a 4 cyl piece of **** if you want & never set foot into a high performance car & not have any worries, so why should it be mandatory to drive one? Though, I wish we would have had that when I was in school, driving a high performance car for free would have been awesome!

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Its like that in Vic and there are still crazy P platers (and others) doing stupid **** like lane hopping and tailgating while on the phone..... people are hard to control if they don't want to be controlled. Also allot of unroadworthy cars here because no yearly inspections, its a dangerous mix.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
I don't get why people are saying it should be mandatory to train in a crazy fast car in school, why? You can live your whole life only driving a 4 cyl piece of **** if you want & never set foot into a high performance car & not have any worries, so why should it be mandatory to drive one? Though, I wish we would have had that when I was in school, driving a high performance car for free would have been awesome!

because then you can handle anything. in every state thats introduced power restrictions theres actually no training anywhere but SA which teaches you how to drive a performance car.

So ######## A gets a **** car at 18..... still races it has more of a chance to kill themselves or others
######## A somehow survives and gets his full license at 21 goes out and buys a V8 or a Turbo. Numerous things can be a problem with this, lets say he use to be driving a 150kw fwd heap of crap, then goes to something with much more power and rwd.

Differant vehicle, more chance to kill himself.

######## B..... gets his L's at 15... is taught at school how to handle a crappy cheap fwd vehicle in rain, hail, shine, other ########s on the road, is shown the consequences of being a ######## with the vehicle will get them, is then trained in a so called performance car. The idea is that if he ever gets behind the wheel of ANY car let alone a performance one...

He wont be a ######## anymore.