Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Mobile Phone Ban for L and P1 Drivers

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
lol if you have a blue tooth radio, and get a call, how can a cop tell if your talking on the phone or just heading towards crazy..e.g. talking to yourself in the car? ... But I do aggree text messaging should be banned as your looking at the phone to do it, even those touch typists ....

Text messaging while driving has always been illegal since mobile phones became a persons number 1 accessory

I'm with minux, ban them all together for every road user and be done with it. Likewise 0.00 BAC while were at it :)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I do agree with taking it away from Learner and P1 drivers. These two stages of driving is where a majority of the learning to drive comes from, so by making these distractions illegal and if everyone follows the law there will be less instances of accidents.

However, i can see how sometimes mobile phones are needed while driving (and experienced situations like this), and thus the bluetooth/handsfree is a good option (speakerphone not so much because you still need to accept the call and then switch on speakerphone).

SMSing is a definate no for everyone though.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
been the case in N.S.W for ages. IMO should be the case for every driver. every 3rd person on the road is on a mobile these days

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I agree SMSing should be illegal as well. If something is so important that you can't wait until you get to wherever you are going, or pull over to reply, then it is worth a phone call.

Handsfree I wouldn't have a problem with everyone being able to use though.

Maybe they should ban girls from applying makeup in the car, that would sure make me feel a lot safer in peak hour traffic. Oh wait, that would be sexist because it is directed at women

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I do agree with taking it away from Learner and P1 drivers. These two stages of driving is where a majority of the learning to drive comes from, so by making these distractions illegal and if everyone follows the law there will be less instances of accidents.

However, i can see how sometimes mobile phones are needed while driving (and experienced situations like this), and thus the bluetooth/handsfree is a good option (speakerphone not so much because you still need to accept the call and then switch on speakerphone).

SMSing is a definate no for everyone though.

Feel free to fill us in on where and when it would be inconvenient to pull over and make your call, as opposed to still driving.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
i have a hard enough time concentrating on the road while using loudspeaker and ive got my full license...:bang:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Feel free to fill us in on where and when it would be inconvenient to pull over and make your call, as opposed to still driving.

Well one that general people would find themselves on:

A windy mountain/forest road with little to no emergency lane. Pulling over there could be very dangerous.

It all depends on the road conditions and what can be interpreted as safe, if it's safe then it's best to pull over. If not, the handsfree would be the better option. I geerally pull over to take a call, ive had to deaccelerate from 100km/h and pick a phone up within 15 seconds before, i could do that safely though with the emergency lanes.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not buying it sorry. Even here in the Adelaide hills, you could find somewhere to pullover to make your call. Its not like the misses ringing you to tell you to pick up milk on the way home is life threatening that you need to know right then.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon

The freeway. I spend a lot of time on the freeway between Melbourne and Adelaide (well, the freeway only goes to Ballarat-ish), and that is the only time I bother even setting up my handsfree thingo. Any other time I just ignore it and ring back later on. I figure, 10 years ago people survived without being able to contact each other every minute of every day so it won't kill me to miss the occasional call

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
I dont understand how any call can be that important that you HAVE to answer it...

surely if its that important they will call again or you can call them giving you sufficient time to pull over