Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Mobile Phone Ban for L and P1 Drivers

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Not buying it sorry. Even here in the Adelaide hills, you could find somewhere to pullover to make your call. Its not like the misses ringing you to tell you to pick up milk on the way home is life threatening that you need to know right then.
Check out Google Maps for this address (and use street view):
1334 Healsville Kinglake Rd, Toolangi, Victoria

No room to pull over, and very dangerous spots just to stop.

Picking up a call for milk from the mrs would be stupid in a place like that, but when people could be in danger then it's nessecary. Toolangi and Blackwood State Forest are just examples of where i would consider the handsfree option needed. Both are places where i've had to use handsfree technology to keep groups of up to 50 people safe or locate lost people.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Check out Google Maps for this address (and use street view):
1334 Healsville Kinglake Rd, Toolangi, Victoria

No room to pull over, and very dangerous spots just to stop.

Picking up a call for milk from the mrs would be stupid in a place like that, but when people could be in danger then it's nessecary. Toolangi and Blackwood State Forest are just examples of where i would consider the handsfree option needed. Both are places where i've had to use handsfree technology to keep groups of up to 50 people safe or locate lost people.

If you had 50 lives in your hands I would assume you are in the emergency services, which unless I'm mistaken gives you exemption from mobile phone laws like this.
And I hear they will give you quite a snazzy uniform as well

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
The freeway. I spend a lot of time on the freeway between Melbourne and Adelaide (well, the freeway only goes to Ballarat-ish), and that is the only time I bother even setting up my handsfree thingo. Any other time I just ignore it and ring back later on. I figure, 10 years ago people survived without being able to contact each other every minute of every day so it won't kill me to miss the occasional call

You just answered your own comment. You don't need to answer it. I drove Adelaide to Sydney, and there was plenty of places to pull over to make/answer a phone call.

Alien, why on earth were you looking for 50 people while driving on the road? you weren't going to find them there. UHFs is what would have been a smarter option during a search (which is what the SES use, who conduct searches, so i think your just making crap up)

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
You just answered your own comment. You don't need to answer it. I drove Adelaide to Sydney, and there was plenty of places to pull over to make/answer a phone call.

It is illegal to stop on a freeway, or at least that one last I heard.

When the trip is close to 5 hours each way I want to be making the least number of stops possible, so don't want to have to pull over and make/answer phone calls all the time.
There are calls I get that while they may not be life and death situations, as long as it is still legal I would rather not wait 5 hours to hear them

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
It is illegal to stop on a freeway, or at least that one last I heard.

When the trip is close to 5 hours each way I want to be making the least number of stops possible, so don't want to have to pull over and make/answer phone calls all the time.
There are calls I get that while they may not be life and death situations, as long as it is still legal I would rather not wait 5 hours to hear them

I highly doubt theres a stretch of road 5 hours long where there is NOWHERE to pull over.......
Your call can wait 10 minutes :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well one that general people would find themselves on:

A windy mountain/forest road with little to no emergency lane. Pulling over there could be very dangerous.

It all depends on the road conditions and what can be interpreted as safe, if it's safe then it's best to pull over. If not, the handsfree would be the better option. I geerally pull over to take a call, ive had to deaccelerate from 100km/h and pick a phone up within 15 seconds before, i could do that safely though with the emergency lanes.

I don't know about everyone else but if i'm on a windy mountain road there is no way in heck I'd risk going over the edge just to answer a friggin call, let the damn thing ring out and call back later.

yeeeezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VZ Calais (on P's)
if people wanted this ban to aply for all, the same thing would apply to Police as they have radio things they talk into and lose concentration etc etc

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
if people wanted this ban to aply for all, the same thing would apply to Police as they have radio things they talk into and lose concentration etc etc

As has already been said, Police are exempt from these laws when in the line of Duty. This goes for talking on mobile phones aswell. Assuming they need to make a call while driving as a part of their job.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I highly doubt theres a stretch of road 5 hours long where there is NOWHERE to pull over.......
Your call can wait 10 minutes :)

As I said, as long as it's still legal I would rather not wait for some of these calls.
If they were to ban it then yes, I could wait the 10 mins until I get to a rest stop, but until then I will keep using this convenience

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
As I said, as long as it's still legal I would rather not wait for some of these calls.
If they were to ban it then yes, I could wait the 10 mins until I get to a rest stop, but until then I will keep using this convenience

I don't remember saying you should stop? All i said is they should do a blanket ban for all drivers.