Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Motorists to now receive fines for all defects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
lol you interstaters think cops don't really defect for silly things hahahah come live in Adelaide ya get defected for having a tow ball on ya car (should Be off and in boot) 1 globe out = defect they say tint is to dark ya go to regency park defect station they say its fine but ya still have to pay the hundreds to get it passed
police can and do defect for tyre's not showing full tread across the tyre and guess what it was a new car with good tread and cop didn't even look at the tire's
they go nice holly ya cant have that then ya tell them look again and its factory carb
cops in SA don't have a clue they don't even know how to change a tyre
when they know what they are looking at ill accept their laws
when their cars are legal height ill accept their laws until then piss off leave SA drivers alone

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
they go nice holly ya cant have that then ya tell them look again and its factory carb

daron actually got this from me. the cop thought my chrome air filter cover meant my carby was a holly and tried to defect me for it. the only reason he let me off was because i pointed to where it said rochester and made him read it.

i personally have no issues with cops but thats probably because i just keep my mouth shut unless they speak to me and am polite when i do need to talk. however these new laws are getting ridiculous. now you get on the spot fine, defect which renders your car useless and then have to pay to get it cleared

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
A lot of you guys seem to forget, Defects are not for Illegal modifications, They are for "Unroadworthy" Modifications.

Eg: Globe out = Unroadworthy

Cheers
Mat

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
LOL, last time i got defected, the cop car had a parker globe blown :p

Ive witnessed a cop defecting a car because he suspected it was modified.... it wasn't. went to the cop shop, got cleared the same day without a single tool touching the car. if that's not a cash grab then i dont know what is.

But to be fair, its not the police making these rules, its the SA government. SA has to be the "dumbest state of australia" We voted for them, funnily i cant find a single person who has admitted it.... hmmmm.

I know i def didn't vote for this govt.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
As I have said in CB to a few others,

This thread should NOT exist until July 1st, as everything is just pulled from an article an people freaking out.

Unroadworthy cars = Off the road = GOOD

You sook about $120 for a $2 globe...
Globe out fines have always been around the $125 mark, So what is the issue now.

That article is there to throw the fear of god into all of you, To make you argue, Speculate. Then they sit back an go
76601_100.jpg

You all mention revenue, Low income earners, blah blah blah

Keep a $2 globe in the car,
Officer pulls you over mentions you have one out, Politely say "Oh thanks for the heads up, Do you mind if I change it now? I didn't know I had one out"
If you treat the cop with respect, They will respect you. Because being a Police officer is about authority.

Because seriously, All the S.A Gov have done is re-structure how the laws work, Not change them. They have thrown around the word "Defect" to scare you... An damn it has worked.

Cheers
Mat

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
In the meantime I will continue to drive my modded cars with zero attention from the boys in blue mostly because I don't do useless stupid mods that scream "look at me"

what exactly is mods that says 'look at me'? lowering a car? bigger rims? its your car, and you cant have it the way you want it? anything you do is going to stand out. thats the whole point of doing a mod, to look different from the rest.

so what is the first thing that grabs a cops attention to make them pull someone over in hotted up car?

is it the way they drive, the way the car looks, the way it sounds, the guys face behind the wheel, the area they are driving in, cops are bored. maybe just clarify cause im doing something wrong.

hozy rebuttal to your invalid argument: 'the'
that is all.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
your all full of **** come to adelaide for 1 yr and put up with the the crap
like i said you interstaters dont have a clue how it is here

Darkhound

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ CV8 Monaro
lol someone please explain to me what your complaining about??

Certainly. Keep reading.

--

Or perhaps they are sick to death of the same tools getting a defect cleared and redoing the same mods they were defected for.

Perhaps, but you dont know the reason for why they're doing it any more than we do and thats just one perspective, from a pool of many.

The local governments slapstick approach to treating some situations lately has been extraordinarily poor. First, we're seeing a proposed lockout of pubs and clubs at 4am until 7am in an effort to kerb early morning violence. Now, we're seeing people fined for having as little as having a single headlight out depending on would could well come down to the mood of the police officer. We have every reason to fight this case.

--

The copper on the scene is not an accredited road worthiness inspector, ive been defected once in my life and the **** they got me for, was just pure nonsense (apart from the to low part), still costs me money to go and get it ticked off
Precisely the reason this rule is nonsense. Its one thing for a cop to hand out a ticket for breaking the road rules for poor driving. They have machines to calculate speeds, they have a rulebook for the road rules... but they have not all got the specification sheets for the cars that they are defecting. It is very much a system of 'Guilty until proven innocent' and that in itself is a problem - especially when you're handing out fines.

--

Yes, get the dangerous bombs off the road. But that's it, they seem to target anything modified, rather than vehicles that do pose a threat.

And...

Do you all really expect everyone to have full respect for the police, when all they do is target modified cars? Oh of course!!!

Thats because these cars you spend so much money on modifying to get attention, get just that. Attention. Congratulations, you've now just made a cop inclined to look at your car. Cops will only pull you over if they notice you. People who drive bombs, wont be driving around showing it off. And people who do, get pulled over. The chemistry is simple.

For example, Someone spending hundreds or thousands on their car to make it look lower, sleeker, faster, louder, sportier, more exotic etc... do it to make their car demand attention. Then they go driving it around to show it off. Its not just bystanders checking out your car, I assure you. They WILL get more attention and possible defects (if its not road worthy) as a result. This is not something you should be arguing. The law can be printed out, go check it.

--

Yeah if they were getting the deathtraps off the road instead of pinging people for exhausts 3 db over the limit or ridiculous **** like that I wouldn't have such a dim view of coppers with defect pads.

Where exactly do you draw the line? If the law says the limit is 100db, and someone comes in with a 103db car and he lets them off, but the next guy comes through with a 105db exhaust and doesnt get let off.. then is the limit 103db? Whats printed in the book they have to obey? They have every right to defect you - its your responsibility to make sure your car is legal. Not theirs, so please dont fight with that ammunition. It doesnt hold much weight.

--

I fully support a graduated defect/fine scheme, but not a huge fine for something like a blown taillight for a first offence.

I do agree with that but am inclined to take it one step further and say that I dont think regular traffic cops should be the ones handing out the on the spot fines. Authorised personell with the correct tools, information and training should be the only ones able to hand out fines like this. Otherwise they're handing out fines on the 'suspicion' of something being wrong with the vehicle.

--

Those good old days are gone because so are the attitudes of good old days.

Very true. And rightfully so tbh. Statistics will show whatever you want to say, we all know that... but given the volume increase in traffic and the relatively small number of deaths occuring on our streets... we've obviously done something right.

--

If i get defected then clearly my car had problems. Unlike all the SA owners cars here who grizzle so often.

Just about every other state has a roadworthy certificate that is necessitated for registration. Something we dont have here in SA. Perhaps introducing it would be a good idea and then the police of whom some of which dont know so much as what make let alone model of car they're looking at can stop defecting them for being illegal. Yes?

--

Clearly, ALL our cars are in TERRIBLE condition, and should STRICTLY not be on the road. Very dangerous indeed, especially if you have a brake light out. *rolls eyes

Haha :p Larrikin.

--

I believe there should be fines yes BUT... i do believe that they should bring in the annual safety checks first and a 1st warning on MINOR defects.

One of the most level headed responses all thread.

--

So my point is, dont go around saying cops are all arseholes and pick on people for nothing, because it is so far untrue.

Very true, cops are humans too. People forget that.

--

Seriously some people.....
:clap:

--

WELLL Thats enough ranting for me.

128770226280423179.jpg

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Actually I do. I have family there. None of them have had a defect. Have been to SA in 2 different odified cars over the past 2 years probably 20 times, not hassled once.

So perhaps it is just certain types of people facing these issues? I'd say they are probably like plankers and always seeking attention or they are like most typical "car enthusiasts" we have in vic that always seem to be so hard done by...god knows why /sarcasm.

Hozy pretty much put it in perspective.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega

Lol did you ever think your the bad person driving like a tool... i dont think the whole of SA gets defected.. if you have an issue with what there defecting argue the point.. if you dont argue the point obviously in your own mind your WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.