Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] SA paint shops, please advise

stevebutler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
I have a scrape on my rear drivers door from a post I did not see when reversing out of the mechanics shop. It is about 20cm high and 30cm long, scrape area is slightly flattened by pole, no major ding or anything just a big scrape

Went to a local repair shop who told me I'd need a new door, the rear bar would have to come of and the drivers door would have to come off, and quoted me 1400 for a scrape about the size of an a4 bit of paper.

This seems a little excessive to me, is this reasonable and does anyone know a good place around Adelaide that does these kind of repairs? Or already having a compressor at home, would I be better buying a spray gun and paint mix, taking the skin off and pushing the door back into shape, and sanding and painting at home?

Thanks guys

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
If it's the silver car in your DP, then don't bother. Even the best crash shop can have trouble getting the colour right, then making sure to spray it in the right direction (yes believe it or not it can make a difference, mainly metallics) if you get it wrong it can make it look crap. Is it only the door that is damaged? Why would the rear bar need to come off? Where are you located, north, east, south, west?

stevebutler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
North nick, in Gawler. Ive been told by everyone they'd have to blow the rear quarter and front door to
Blend it. My only fear is one side would be different to the other. One place said they'd put a new door skin on.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Yeah blending the paint is common. That is so it does look out of place to the old stuff. Have a look at the front bar on my car. They blended that in and had to respray the front left guard too, couldn't tell it had been done.