Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

safe revs for an ecotec?

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
i see alot of people talking about redlining thier v6s at 5 and a half and i think too myself that motors not gonna last long....are they built too take this treatment or are you looking at premature death from constant high revs with no internal mods?
personally i rarely go over 3k myself , my motor has 195000 on it and a good service history , id like it too last.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if i leave mine in drive and nail it it goes over 6000rpm before it get's into 2nd. as long as your not revving it's nuts off continuesly it will be fine

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
have you done some mods or is your transmision slipping or something? or is that in a VN?

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Yeah Immortality that sounds very very high... That's what my old autos used to do when they slipped badly, otherwise it shifts around 4.5-5k rpm pretty sure.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
When i had my auto it used to rev to about 6500rpm with the pedal to the floor. Pretty sure it wasn't slipping either because it really pushed you back in the seat and when i went for a service they said it's not slipping, and if anything they'd say it was slipping so they could do more "repairs". Now that i've got a manual it's pretty happy to sit at 5k in first gear. :w00t:

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
one time when i had to put foot to floor to avoid an accident (yes im telling the truth before someone says something), my revs went to about 6000rpm in 1st gear and i could feel the car snap/jerk into 2nd gear, my neck even cracked from the whiplash, i went and got it checked out and the mechanic said there was nothing wrong so my guess is obviously if u put foot to floor ur engines gona go nuts

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
yeh we all know they rev like that, but is it bad for the engine?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
6000 is fine too much more over that and they will start to suffer