Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Safe to remove Bonnet Sound deadening...?

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Anyway, my serpentine belt decided it would break a few months ago. When it did it shredded the sound deadening material on the underside of the bonnet to bits :(

So....I was hoping you guys could tell me if it's OK to remove it? I don't want to remove it and then find that the paint starts peeling (which I don't think it will as I'm pretty sure the only reason the material is there is to keep engine noise down......)

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
i would imagine it would okay to remove it, although the bonnet would get really hott alot quicker than usual. my old VN never had one but the paint on the bonnet wasnt up to scratch, not sure if it was caused from the heat of the engine.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you're right, its jsut there for engine noise. rip it all off, you wont have any troubles.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
But if in any time your new belt decides to give up - its gonna leave a nice dent on your bonnet.

I'd say get another one from the wreckers. Just to be on the safe side.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
my 95 vs poverty pack ute didnt come with it along with a handfull of other things.

paint was still like new after all these years so i dont think the engine gives off enough heat to cook the paint on the hood

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
my 95 vs poverty pack ute didnt come with it along with a handfull of other things.

paint was still like new after all these years so i dont think the engine gives off enough heat to cook the paint on the hood

Yeah I didn't think it would, but thought I would make sure.

I took it off last week, nothing bad has happened.....just makes it a bid louder in the car;)