Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

Juicifruitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 ssv redline
GM Holden Ltd — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice
PRA No.2018/17201

Date published: 19 Dec 2018

Campaign number: A182193280

Product description:

Holden VF Commodore
58,731 affected vehicles

Holden WN Caprice
1,938 affected vehicles

HSV VF Clubsport, HSV VF Maloo and HSV VF GTS
5,525 affected vehicles

Select 2014-2016 models, built on or prior to 30 April 2015.

Identifying features
VIN (Vehicle identification number) See attached VIN list. VIN List.xlsx (1.77 MB)(productsafety.gov.au)

What are the defects?
Increased electrical resistance in a component within the Electric Power Steering system may result in a loss of power steering assistance.

What are the hazards?
When driving at low speed, a potential for increased steering efforts exists which may result in reduced steering control. This may pose an in increased risk of accident or injury to vehicle occupants or other road users.

What should consumers do?
Replacement parts are not currently available. Holden will contact affected consumers to notify them of required action.

For further information, consumers should contact Holden Customer Care on 1800 632 826.

Source: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/426216

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Wow...
Thats major

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Another Takata saga on a smaller scale. "Look, your car is potentially unsafe but we can't fix it yet. But don't worry, we'll call you...."

The big thing is that they have finally recognised this issue for the serious matter that it is. Pity it took so long though.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Hmmm... I'm assuming the recall will include a wheel realignment. If that's so, I wonder if I can put off replacing my tyres until just before the recall work is done on my car.......? :rolleyes:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Hmmm... I'm assuming the recall will include a wheel realignment. If that's so, I wonder if I can put off replacing my tyres until just before the recall work is done on my car.......? :rolleyes:
It won't be a full alignment. It will be a toe check and adjust only and the tech will ignore camber as it's not affected when replacing the rack.

Assuming a rack replacement is the fix and they haven't figured out some other way to fix it.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
It won't be a full alignment. It will be a toe check and adjust only and the tech will ignore camber as it's not affected when replacing the rack.

Assuming a rack replacement is the fix and they haven't figured out some other way to fix it.

Bugga! (Not you Smashfist, I mean the lack of full wheel alignment :))

Actually, I think I read somewhere Holden were planning to replace just the electric motor, not the rack. Or did I dream that?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
MY2016 but only builds up to April 2015? Wasn't MY16 introduced later in the year?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
bugger.... my Tourer is on that list :(

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Mine is June 2016...
Should be fine then..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
GM has provided NTSB a chronology doc which states various solutions and manufacture time frames. I linked to this doc in my post within the sudden loss of power steering thread here. Worth three clicks and a read :) or just read my post summary ;)