Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Juicifruitz, Dec 19, 2018.

1. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

My 3/14 VF is in the list. Just rang the local dealer$hip service dept, they checked my VIN and said "There is nothing wrong with your VIN at the moment. You need to wait until you are notified to contact us to arrange a booking".

So if there is "nothing wrong with my VIN at the moment" why did i get the first letter? D'oh!

2. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ all VF's run the risk of EPS failure so its wrong to say there is nothing wrong with yours at the moment.

It seems Holden is prioritising VINS based on some method probably related to the cheapness of them simply dribbling repair kits out to dealers.

3. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    My 6/14 VF is being done this Friday at Hamilton Holden, Adelaide. Hopefully, there shouldn't be any problems...... :rolleyes:

[Update] All sweet. I asked exactly what the recall entails, and was told they remove the steering rack from the car, replace the electric motor on it, and refit the rack. As there is no need to dismantle ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc. the steering geometry and hence wheel alignment should not be affected. And so it proved to be -- the car felt the same afterwards, with neutral steering (no pulling to one side) and the steering wheel aligned correctly. They even put the car through the car wash for me, and didn't leave any smudgy fingerprints on the alcantara trim. I'm a happy camper!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

I finally got my letter today. Will call the dealer$hip and book in tomorrow.

wetwork65 likes this.
  5. wetwork65

wetwork65 A wet business

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
    Got my 2 letters as well. Have booked the first car in for next week.
    Fingers crossed I will get some information when I probe them about the actual work done.

6. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Had mine done 2 weeks ago and they said they just unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in and you dont need a wheel alignment afterwards but for 70 bucks i had one done anyway.

They had the vehicle for about 4 hours.

7. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Replaced a rack and don't need a wheel alignment? Talk about them shafting you.....I had a spare rack here and replaced the rack ends and tierod ends on it....From there I removed my old rack and adjusted the tie rods on the new rack so the distance was identical to the old rack.

When I aligned it, I was 2MM total out and I do this stuff for a living....So going by this, you had a completely new rack fitted, which would put your toe all over the shop, makes me wonder how they can justify their reasoning?

Personally I'd be going back to the dealer and asking for the money you outlayed on the necessary wheel alignment

8. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    I don't think they remove the rack, just remove and replace the motor on the rack.

stooge likes this.
  9. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    lmoengnr is right all they did was replace the motor module not the whole rack.
    according to them they dont actually touch anything that would change the alignment but i still wanted to get one anyway.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  10. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    My alignment was rooted & needed doing anyway.
    Plus dealer ... who knows how they may’ve screwed-up the alignment through incompetence?

stooge likes this.
  11. ybl8te

ybl8te Member

Members Ride:
    calis vn v8
    So apparently the VF SV6 wagon, which went in for the inspection on the steering unit, is getting a whole new rack and wheel alignment etc........parts ordered be here next week....reckons 7.5hr job.......in N.Z thou.....

426Cuda likes this.
  12. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    i checked mine because you can never really trust what they tell you and its definitely my old rack with the new motor on it which makes me wonder if they are supposed to change the whole rack but they didnt to save money.

13. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    The fix now is electric motor change only

stooge likes this.
  14. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ and presumably that means if an electric motor fails down some years down track, not related to recall issues, then Holden will be able to supply just the electric motor through spare parts :rolleyes: so the owners won’t need to buy the complete rack assembly as was the case before the recall and the special kit of parts they created to save a few bob ;)

15. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    If the motor fails, I think the rack would be nearly stuffed too.

16. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Makes sence.....I assumed they replace the whole rack, not just the motor.....My bad:oops:

17. ybl8te

ybl8te Member

Members Ride:
    calis vn v8
    The guy told me to my face, everything gets changed on mine, and wheel alignment, hence the 7.5hrs needed. Will get the items list when done and post it here.......

18. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    He may not know of the updated procedure now there is a kit to change the electric motor.

19. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    did your vf have a steering fault?
    i ask because you said it went in for inspection which is not how the recall works.
    with a recall like this they take the vehicle and replace the parts regardless of the condition of the parts on the vehicle.
    they should not have to inspect it then order parts because they should have the parts on hand by now to perform the repair on all of the vehicles in the recall.

if you did have a fault maybe that is why the whole thing is being replaced.

lmoengnr likes this.
  20. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    Easy enough to remove/refit the rack to replace the motor without having to do an alignment.

Also it does not take 7.5hrs to replace a rack. I was putting through a heap of these when I was doing warranty claims for Holden and book time was something like 3 and a bit hours including the alignment...