Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wouldn't matter as whatever the spec'd difference, at least the vehicle should be safer.
Well, technically, a 2008-technology vehicle, that lives in the same market-segment & for the same price as a 2004-technology vehicle, is likely to be safer … :p

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
My personal view is that when there is a safety recall, any vehicle that is in the possession of a new or used car sales dealer, or comes into the possession of a service agent, gets held over until repairs are completed because it’s a safety issue after all.
Agreed, noticed you won't be able to register some cars soon if you havnt had the airbag replaced.

The steering issue is big so with all the drive about safer driving/speeds etc you would think government wouldnt like funny steering 1.8 tonne projectiles

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Well, technically, a 2008-technology vehicle, that lives in the same market-segment & for the same price as a 2004-technology vehicle, is likely to be safer … :p
Unless it's a mustang... and only if you believe ANCAP :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It won't be a full alignment. It will be a toe check and adjust only and the tech will ignore camber as it's not affected when replacing the rack.

Assuming a rack replacement is the fix and they haven't figured out some other way to fix it.

Depending where the car goes for the alignment, a full alignment will be performed, as per normal....Howevedr considering the Vf is so new, as such a camber shouldn't be effected anyways

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I guess one justification I can think of is that Toyota are the people who put the problem there, and they're the ones fixing it.
Used Corollas are also expected to be fixed by Toyota under a recall, even if it's Sleazy Joe's Used Autos that's selling it … even if someone buys the used Corolla with the CVT problem it'll be fixed for free & Sleazy Joe isn't the one who caused the problem either.

It's a bit harder to justify when it's such a major safety issue - steering that suddenly loses assistance mid-corner.

I can say, I was working at a place that dealt with Toyotas, when they had a massive recall on drag links in Hiluxes. There were 10 year old Hiluxes having the assembley replaced under warranty and god knows how many owners they had been through.....

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Depending where the car goes for the alignment, a full alignment will be performed, as per normal....Howevedr considering the Vf is so new, as such a camber shouldn't be effected anyways

If the dealer doesn't perform alignments in house they will be sublet out and may get a full alignment, otherwise the dealer will do a toe-adjust (otherwise known as "toe-n-go") as that's all the labour operation pays time for. It takes more time to do a camber adjust and it's not touched when doing a rack so it's unnecessary to camber adjust.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If the dealer doesn't perform alignments in house they will be sublet out and may get a full alignment, otherwise the dealer will do a toe-adjust (otherwise known as "toe-n-go") as that's all the labour operation pays time for. It takes more time to do a camber adjust and it's not touched when doing a rack so it's unnecessary to camber adjust.

This is true, but with the Vf being so new, it is highly unlikely it will need touching anyway.

Doing a camber adjust takes an extra 5 mins per side, so not a big deal of extra time, considering half an hour should be allowed for an alignment.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It will be a complete rack excluding tie rods and ends. Racks aren't a serviceable item and therefore come as a complete unit.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It will be a complete rack excluding tie rods and ends. Racks aren't a serviceable item and therefore come as a complete unit.

What makes you think that? Maybe the way Holden are fixing this issue is to replace the electric motor with the suspect non gold plated pins.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
What makes you think that? Maybe the way Holden are fixing this issue is to replace the electric motor with the suspect non gold plated pins.

Ricey will know exactly what parts Holden are going to replace for this recall
He is a mechanic at Holden