Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
So apparently the VF SV6 wagon, which went in for the inspection on the steering unit, is getting a whole new rack and wheel alignment etc........parts ordered be here next week....reckons 7.5hr job.......in N.Z thou.....

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
So apparently the VF SV6 wagon, which went in for the inspection on the steering unit, is getting a whole new rack and wheel alignment etc........parts ordered be here next week....reckons 7.5hr job.......in N.Z thou.....

i checked mine because you can never really trust what they tell you and its definitely my old rack with the new motor on it which makes me wonder if they are supposed to change the whole rack but they didnt to save money.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
i checked mine because you can never really trust what they tell you and its definitely my old rack with the new motor on it which makes me wonder if they are supposed to change the whole rack but they didnt to save money.
The fix now is electric motor change only

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ and presumably that means if an electric motor fails down some years down track, not related to recall issues, then Holden will be able to supply just the electric motor through spare parts :rolleyes: so the owners won’t need to buy the complete rack assembly as was the case before the recall and the special kit of parts they created to save a few bob ;)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ and presumably that means if an electric motor fails down some years down track, not related to recall issues, then Holden will be able to supply just the electric motor through spare parts :rolleyes: so the owners won’t need to buy the complete rack assembly as was the case before the recall and the special kit of parts they created to save a few bob ;)

If the motor fails, I think the rack would be nearly stuffed too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
lmoengnr is right all they did was replace the motor module not the whole rack.
according to them they dont actually touch anything that would change the alignment but i still wanted to get one anyway.

Makes sence.....I assumed they replace the whole rack, not just the motor.....My bad:oops:

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
The fix now is electric motor change only

The guy told me to my face, everything gets changed on mine, and wheel alignment, hence the 7.5hrs needed. Will get the items list when done and post it here.......

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
The guy told me to my face, everything gets changed on mine, and wheel alignment, hence the 7.5hrs needed. Will get the items list when done and post it here.......

He may not know of the updated procedure now there is a kit to change the electric motor.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

did your vf have a steering fault?
i ask because you said it went in for inspection which is not how the recall works.
with a recall like this they take the vehicle and replace the parts regardless of the condition of the parts on the vehicle.
they should not have to inspect it then order parts because they should have the parts on hand by now to perform the repair on all of the vehicles in the recall.

if you did have a fault maybe that is why the whole thing is being replaced.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Easy enough to remove/refit the rack to replace the motor without having to do an alignment.

Also it does not take 7.5hrs to replace a rack. I was putting through a heap of these when I was doing warranty claims for Holden and book time was something like 3 and a bit hours including the alignment...