Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam’s VX Acclaim

SamVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Hey all

So I’ve been out of the ‘car scene’ for years now, have owned a few nice (and a few not so nice) cars.

Circumstances being a big factor, about 5 years ago I purchased this VX II Acclaim sedan in champagne for around $4500.

At the time it was a no brainer - I simply needed a set of wheels while saving for a house. However, life led me to neglect the car for a couple of years - house/wedding/heart surgery/losing our daughter REALLY fucks you around financially - and it probably shows.

Since owning it, it’s been my tow car, my thrasher, madly neglected at times and used like a cheap hooker. Purchased with 160,000km and now has 260,000km.

I’ll upload pictures when there’s a dry day in Melbourne. It’s bone stock aside from a basic Alpine HU, Kicker amp and Fusion sub.

Engine is the trusty old ecotec; I’ve had four of them now and I love how simple and reliable they are (besides the lemon that was in my VYII Calais, built after Friday beers at Holden)..

Have recently replaced LIM gasket with Mace aluminium gasket and rocker cover gaskets too, so no more leaking/weeping/oil slick in coolant

Most front end bushes that are prone to failure have been replaced and the car feels settled in the front. Has a decent driveline bang when you give it a bit after rolling back off the throttle, so will have to change uni joints at some point.

Car also has upgraded slotted and drilled rotors with Bendix ultimate pads. Stops well, but the nasty Bob Jane All-Rounders on it don’t give you much confidence under brakes. Especially in the wet(I was broke and it was these or bald tires).

So what does the future hold for the old girl?

Hopefully a few of these items
- Mace roller rockers
- CAI
- Manta 2 1/4” exhaust
- Upgraded interior trim (unsure whether to go velour or leather)
- Buy a pressure washer to clean off 18 years of crud on the engine/trans
- Replace rear main and slowly recondition all major driveline components.
- New shoes, at biggest a set of 17” wheels would suit.
- FE2 springs and new shocks (my back is too shagged for low cars)

Goal with this car is to get another 260,000km from it. This thread isn’t one of those ‘how fully sick is my car’ or ‘how much money can I throw at it’.

This will be a slow labour of love with attention put into restoration to bring car to mechanically how tidy it should have come from the dealership. The only thing I won’t restore is the paint. The dings and scratches tell a story and if I fixed them I’d panic every time I parked it in the street (do that enough with the mrs Tucson)

Please, any advice, tips or mechanical wisdom that you guys can give me would be much appreciated! Also would love to get out and about if there is any cruises, have been a real hermit of late so getting out would be great!

Last edited:

SamVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Alright so, can’t upload pics by phone just yet. So stay tuned for that.

Anyway, had the opportunity to look through the car on a hoist to assess current issues that need attention and the following list has been made

- rear main seal leak severe (pissing all over the ‘box and even enough to hit the y piece on the exhaust.
- power steering rack boots leaking
- sump gasket leaking
- rear shocks flogged out (could tell without the hoist)
- exhaust has some rust pinholes forming around the cat, so see about replacing the system when able to.

Didn’t get a quote for the work itself because right now work is fking me around with my return to work plan since my operation and won’t let me back even though I have medical clearance, so cash is tight. Good to know what I’m up against though! Despite above list, seems to be driving well enough.

Investigating heavy fuel consumption though.. been tracking around 15-17L/100km with mix of highway and local driving, nothing over 3000rpm. Have serviced, replaced oil, coolant, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter etc for no change. Unsure, but struggling to get 400km from 65-67L of fuel.. suggestions?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Investigating heavy fuel consumption though.... suggestions?

I'd have a look at the O2 sensor/s. They wear out and could be causing it to run overly rich.

SamVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I'd have a look at the O2 sensor/s. They wear out and could be causing it to run overly rich.

Thanks! Will do. Would it just be a matter of pull out and inspect or purchase new in advance and swap to test? Dare say the ones I have are original

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks! Will do. Would it just be a matter of pull out and inspect or purchase new in advance and swap to test? Dare say the ones I have are original

You won't be able to tell by looking at it (although it will be black with exhaust crud). You'd need to scan the car for error codes to make sure. If it is knackered They are pretty cheap to buy, so I'd just swap it out with a new one if that's the case.

Probably best to head to your local supercheap, they will hook up an OBDII to it for around $15 I think. That'll give you any error codes it's throwing out.

SamVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Checked error codes and nothing comes up..

I’ll jump on fleabay and order new ones regardless for peace of mind.

Will also give the plenum a clean out over the weekend

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will also give the plenum a clean out over the weekend

May as well hit the throttle body while you're at it too..