Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam's VY II Calais

soslowbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Finally got a new car :) Pretty damn happy

Specs

2003 Series II VY Calais
V6 Ecotec
Auto
Standard Diff
FE 1.5 Suspension

It's still bog stock for now as I've owned it barely 10 days.

Plans

CAI
Exhaust (Pacies/HM into stock cat, to Manta 2.5")
Double Din Kenwood HU
Hertz component up front AND back
2x Amp
Kicker Slimline sub (have this and the amp for it)
Wash, polish, enjoy.

I've always loved the VY shape and the Calais is definitely a nice car to get me through the next 5-10 years in comfort, then when I'm feeling ready enough, either sell and get a V8 or do a conversion.

If anybody has any ideas on what else I could do to it, feel free!

IMG_0085.jpgIMG_0084.jpgIMG_0063.jpgIMG_0064.jpgIMG_0083.jpg

soslowbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Getting quotes on the sound system as the 6 stacker system is temperamental to say the least.

Gotten a quote for around the $1000 range with a double din HU, Alpine amp, Hertz component front speakers and hertz door speakers. This includes dynamat and wiring

Unsure if I should put speakers where the two factory 8" subs go or just blank it off?

borrttt

Gday
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina L67 2004
Take them out and leave the holes free under the grilles so of you put a sub on the boot the bass comes through, don't close it off

morganluke

Captain Morgan
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pack | 2009 Liberty GT wagon
Nice Calais! I have the same in Martini Mica.

Enjoy :)

soslowbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Take them out and leave the holes free under the grilles so of you put a sub on the boot the bass comes through, don't close it off

Reckon it's just worth sound deadening the parcel shelf and leave them open so it's clear bass with no (fingers crossed) rattles?

Thinking this will be the route I take for it. Just not sure how I should go about the wiring.

<andy9>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 6.0LTR M6
Looks good mate I had the same model but white when I was on my P's there a great car. Defiantly use alot if sound deadener will make a big difference

borrttt

Gday
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina L67 2004
Well there's always going to be rattles but you can prevent most of your thorough and put in the time to eliminate as many as possible. Using deadener shouldn't be something you scrimp on. Have a look here at my car and get an idea of how much and what I used...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-vz-wk-wl-v2/112324-new-ride-2.html

Pretty much though if you put in a sub you want to deaden the bootlid and the parcel shelf. All think and flat areas will resonate worse than thicker areas and all deadener does is add weight to reduce the vibrations. So the more the better really. If you want to go crazy deaden everything lol it never hurts.

If going to put decent speakers in the doors then I'd recommend deadening both inside and outer door surfaces in the cavity and also sealing off the service holes. Mount the speakers on custom made wooden baffles also goes a long way to good sound quality from the drivers.

In the end it's up to how much you want to spend a d how much time and effort your prepared to put in. You can see everything I did to improve my cars acoustics I even used sound deadening paint lol.

soslowbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Yeah, going to deaden the doors fully, the bootlid and any part of the boot that may rattle.

Definitely doing this professionally. Even if I have to buy everything in stages and when I have every single item, then in one full day it'll be installed. New battery terminals, run all the wiring, deaden the doors, mount the speakers, mount the amps and wire everything in, then test, then reassemble the car.

It's spectacular to drive, really makes me happy that I chose this over a sports model. A bit less attention from the police means less issues if it ever gets modified.

borrttt

Gday
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina L67 2004
Allow yourself far more than 1 day to deaden. I did mine but by bit. It's a tedious job. Takes ages. I used 3 bulk packs of dynamat on my car. So about 600 odd worth. Replace te battery with an optima yellow top.

soslowbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
I've got two mates who want to help lol. It'll be done over a weekend I reckon :).

Love your idea with the amp mounting. I'm not sure how I'll set all mine up, but yours is quite a good way to do it.

Yeah the battery will be done too.

So the list is:

Battery
Battery Terminals
Amp
Coaxial speakers
Rear speakers
Headunit
2x Amp wiring kit
Sound Deadening

Definitely a lot to consider. I've done several installs in other cars, but it's always just been buying basic sub, amp, speakers and just making them work, not caring for sound quality and a lack of rattles.