Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sanding metallic

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey paintin the vn imperial blue laquer metallic paint. Should I be wet sandin at all before clear? I would with solid colour but a little unsure with the metallic. I didnt sand the fuel cap and put clear over and it came up nice but theres no real reflection in it, but it is hell shiny.

Just dont quite get it :hmmm:

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah pretty much, there's no reason to sand a base coat before you clear it.
If you're using a direct gloss there's no reason to clear it at all...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
when spraying mettelic lay down your base then give it one coat of clear. sand after the clear to knock off the high peices of mettelic that are standing up through the clear then bomb it out with the rest of your 4 litres of clear.or if you are lazy just splash the clear over top as is

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
never with mica/metallics

base coat should be completely smooth if it's not for whatever reason sand and re coat

if you can't lay it down smooth you shouldn't be painting

fozzil

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 HBD VT CALAIS 195kw
yep, if you wet or dry sand your metalic base coat before you put on your clear coats,you start messing around with the metalic flakes,mainly by knocking the tops of your flakes when your sanding,because the the way the flakes settle after being laid on,your always going to have surfaces that face up,so when you put the clear coats on mainly the first one you will see the difference,also the wetter you lay your metalic base coats on, the flakes will settle lower and the colour more promenant and the lighter or dryer you put it on the more the flakes will stand out ...hope this helps.

chooky1980

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
vh sl/e,vk berlina
let your metallic flash off then clear it letting it flash off between coats.leave it a few days then block it back with 1500 then 2000 wet & dry then buff it

bjwynd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl
I would wait 2 to 4 weeks before buffing especially if you don't have a bake oven if you buff it to soon it won't come up proper it will take 5 gose or more if you wait a few weeks it will come up first time