Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandman's R33 Skyline Drift project

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So next weekend is Vicdrift Summer Matsuri at Winton raceway. I've been going flat stick on this and the Ftruck so I can make the event, probably won't have the chance for any real updates till after it though. If anyone is in the area and interested though, head on down for a look. You can even book a ride with one of the experienced drivers through this link too.

https://www.vicdrift.com/collection...asses/products/ride-with-a-pro-summer-matsuri

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So next weekend is Vicdrift Summer Matsuri at Winton raceway. probably won't have the chance for any real updates till after it though.
Weekend is over.
Give us updates!!!

With pictures please.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Would explain all the trailered cars (especially Jap style) seen on the way up and down the Hume on the weekend.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So bit of a rundown on the last week or so. In the leadup to Matsuri, I finally finished up the wing and bootlid setup and throw some paint on it. It was a quick job and not a fantastic colour match but it looks ok from a distance. I also 3d Printed some endplates to finish it off. Additionally I needed to mount cluster in the dash. Can't remember if I posted it earlier but its a Aim MXP, to work with the Link G4+ ecu. Due to where the dash bar of my roll cage is located, no off the shelf items work to mount the custer as the bar goes right through where the factory pickup points were. I do plan on doing a full insert to house it nicely in there, but lacking in time, and the general size of the opening meant this quick little mount would have to do. As it is, I had to lift the dash to get this version in there. Cluster works really nicely and I can choose all the parameters I want and where I want them. I also made the most of the shift lights too which came in real handy on the track. Next thing was to mount the ignition switch and starter button, another 3d printed plate which just screed into a couple of holes in the dash. I also used fishing line so the removable key didn't wander off on me, it looks sketchy as and wonky, but its actually fairly straight (bad camera angle) and rigid enough for now. I also made some new lower intercooler mounts with rubber isolators, still needs some top mounts too but its better than what was there previously. Also picked up a set of Enkei RPF1's too, not in amazing condition, but they were cheap and in a decent size 17x9+22, one of my all time favourite wheels so stoked to finally have some.

So there was a whole host of other stuff going on once the car was finished leading up to the event, but I'll write about that in the Ftruck thread. Got the car to the track and headed out for the first time in 12 months, car drove fantastically even though I was a bit rusty. The extra power made it quite easy to bake the tyres through the faster corners. Unfortunately in my second session for the day I heard a knocking noise from the read which got quite back quite quickly, thought it was one of the axles but when I came in, LH wheel was loose and 3 studs were snapped. Was really weird as I know what a loose wheel feels like, but it didn't feel like that at all. I found some studs off a mate but unfortunately destroyed 3 wheel nuts in and a spanner the process of installing them. Got them seated enough they would work. so was set to go for sunday.

Went out for a couple of sessions Sunday morning and had an absolute blast car was driving great and my confidence was growing. I was linking turn 3 and 4 really nicely to the point where I had a cloud of smoke in the passenger seat with me after exiting turn 4. Over the weekend Vicdrift runs 'Pro rides' where anyone can buy a few laps with one of the experienced drivers. A few of my mates were doing these all weekend, but come lunchtime Sunday and 3/5 cars were now broken so I got called up to take out passengers. I did a quick sighting lap and the car wasn't getting on boost properly with turbo issues, so I spend the rest of the day helping helping load people into the remaining pro cars. Despite the dramas, was still a pretty good weekend. Though I'm rather poor now and still quite sleep deprived even though its now Wednesday.

A few pics and videos that have come up over the last couple of days. Note the difference in driving in the video between the first video from the Saturday and the second from the Sunday.

TO8CajY.jpg

ErrTC8t.jpg

Fits nicely on the rear
LsujwM1.jpg

All the holes the boots have without the wings on them, also my attempts to try and colour match.
UO1WGzH.jpg

Holes welded up (not by me)
rXhmoBl.jpg

Rattle can primed
8t49oab.jpg

Painted, this was all done in a rush, so the finish isn't crash hot.
NasuoMv.jpg

Wing primed
9XJuKCs.jpg

6aejDJn.jpg

Wing mounted ready to go
09GFNKZ.jpg

vd9bkFX.jpg

Quick switch panel
Swkstu1.jpg

Quick cluster mount
wNRy7nX.jpg

6fizQVD.jpg

Terrible photo but you get the idea on the layout of the cluster, all of which is customisable
7tU1Aiq.jpg

Setup at Winton
ePuIQI4.jpg

h2xnRnR.jpg

V2k7jDr.jpg

wd78fSJ.jpg

GvsKeUd.jpg

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Cheers, nice to see that people are actually enjoying reading the antics I get up to with my cars haha. Yeah the lawn looks alright in photos...

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Great update !

Looks like some good speed too.

Also.....that lawn.
My exact thoughts.
I can't remember what I just read in the update, but cannot forget that lawn!!!

Paint job on boot lid looks great for a drift car.