Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans' VC SL

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Wire wheel ftw for areas like that. Last ages until they start throwing spikes everywhere. Gotta replace them when that happens :p

Find a 4" angle grinder works best for paint removal. 5" just have too much power and damage the wire wheels too quickly and can melt the strip it discs reallllly quickly. Found that out when i when i had to remove melted strip it disc from the front guard lol

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Soooo its been 3 years since I touched this car, which is eye opening if nothing else. After having the guard sitting in the engine bay (on towels) I decided I'd like to put the RH guard and bonnet back on this so it was a little less scattered around my shed and to look a little less sad. I had bare metaled where the guard bolts on when I was playing with it years ago but never got around to putting any paint on it. Originally I was going to paint it body colour, but being under the guard I decided that a black harder wearing paint might be a better option. Also that I could brush this one without having to evacuate or mask up the entire shed, both of which are jobs I didn't want to do.

A bit of surface rust had accumilated on this surface so out came the strip disc to clean it up again. It was then hit with a coat of rust converter before copping 2 coats of Septone Subframe black with a brush. I've used this on a few parts on the skyline and its held up to the abuse I give it there so it should be fine for this. The bottom of the guard also had a small amount of surface rust on the inside where it touches the body of the car so it copped the same treatment as the guard mounting face. I will also touch up under the guard with the Bullyliner as applied previously as in certain light you can see its a little thin in spots. Once that's done I'll whack the guard and bonnet back on and then it wont look quite as sad.

What I started with
3EfpVzC.jpg

After hitting with the strip disc
5sFqZPW.jpg

With 2 coats down
9YLBt2A.jpg

9UW8lcv.jpg

Little bit of surface rust on the mating surfaces.
ysOPZxV.jpg

Stripped and rust converted
RdzhnQJ.jpg

Painted, looks a bit agricultural here, but its quite smooth in person. Self levels quite nicely for a brush on finish.
nBaA5Xm.jpg

Mr. Brightside

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH 253 4 speed, 2006 VE SSV M6
Any updates on this mate? You were making some good progress.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Been sitting in the corner neglected pretty much since the last post. I'm close to finishing the Skyline (again) in the next few weeks/months and then I'll be jumping back into working on this as I really miss driving it.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So after almost 2 years since its last update, I bought an EFI long range tank from Eyy last night. Still chasing a sender though, so if anyone knows of one that doesn't want drug money for it, hit me up.

21JaIH6.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd rather wait for reproduction Rare Spares item than pay drug money for a twitchy old unit.

They're selling older twist/turn senders so bolt in type can't be far away.

$250 for sle/brock & $200 for lower spec cars so bolt in senders should be similar pricing.

Seeing new tanks basically all later model type for built in senders except early girl tanks have tabs welded in where bolt holes were for twist/turn sender....all tank longer efi fuel necks iirc

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah got a good point there actually. Fingers crossed they get on with them, though still likely to be a while before the tank goes anywhere near the car anyway. Next step is to strip and repaint under the floor. Fun times ahead.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Alrighty folks, so what needs fettling to get my factory VC filler neck onto the later model tank? Lots of threads say they need a small modification but nothign I can find gives me any detail as to what that modification is.