Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Satellite navigation evoke model

Sue g

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf evoke
Hi sorry if asked before.
Is it possible to update the "entertainment system" to include sat nav? I have been told that a dealer can upgrade a chip but local dealers are telling me to get a new system.
Any ideas much appreciated - thank you

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
SatNav was an option when new, I don't know if it was dealer-fitted or was normally fitted at the factory; but that means it's certainly possible to do.

It's not just upgrading a chip; I don't know this for sure, but I think they needed to add an extra piece of hardware inside the dash behind the screen & aircon controls. It's possible that the parts are scarce, and that it's going to be cheaper for you to go aftermarket.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi sorry if asked before.
Is it possible to update the "entertainment system" to include sat nav? I have been told that a dealer can upgrade a chip but local dealers are telling me to get a new system.
Any ideas much appreciated - thank you

you can upgrade it by installing a mylink with navigation from another vehicle.
you can get away with just upgrading the base unit(silverbox) and keep your old screen/buttons but if you want the dest/nav button combo you need to update the screen and button module.
the evoke also has no gps ant so you will need to buy one from ebay with a "fakra" connector for about 20 bucks.

you will need the base unit(silverbox) programmed with your vehicles vin number for it to work in your vehicle.
put the gps ant up in the roof somewhere, do not put it next to the mylink because the mylink will screw with the gps signal.

here is a ebay link to the hardware you need to replace, this has no cd player if you want a cd player you need to source the hardware from a series 1 vf

and the gps ant

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
checkout envyous customs, they do this kind of stuff no need to cobble together a pile of stuff off ebay, there's a bit more to it than that.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
One more question..
Who do you get to install - mechanic/auto elec?

You could use anyone that knows how to take the trims off and undo about 10x 7mm bolts.
There is no wiring involved as everything is factory and will just plug in.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
You could use anyone that knows how to take the trims off and undo about 10x 7mm bolts.
There is no wiring involved as everything is factory and will just plug in.

don't forget the programming. but yes pnp.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
don't forget the programming. but yes pnp.

yes, i put that part in bold text so the op would take note and that can be done out of the vehicle too.

ebay has a couple of people that do it, this one might be near the op or they offer a send in service.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This is going to muddy the waters ... but ... be aware that only Holden are able to update the maps in the MyLink SatNav, and the newest maps were from about circa 2016 & released around 2018. I don't think anyone is putting money an another map upgrade ever being made available.

Whereas with aftermarket systems plugged into the MyLink, there are a few options for systems that can continue to be upgrade; or even, as a lot of people are doing, you can get interfaces with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay so you can use the always-up-to-date-for-free software like Google Maps from your 'phone.
But ... the aftermarket systems don't necessarily integrate as neatly as installing a MyLink from a VF with SatNav, it depends on price. A good car-audio installer should know what the possibilities are in the aftermarket stuff.

Not saying which way to go, nor which way I would go, but it's worth being made aware-of.