Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Satellite navigation evoke model

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Thanks for the help @stooge . I found that was the case, but I'll have to debate with myself in regard to which functions I want more (i.e. correct buttons on hard pad or correct imaging) o_O
To add to my list of issues, I am getting an erratic nav signal (or the car is intermittently moving at warp speed).
The supplier wants to send me a new antenna to try, so I will try that. Very helpful - it is the supplier you linked at post #3.
Finally all working properly :). The display no longer shows me heading into the Pacific Ocean at Long Reef, when I drive along Pittwater Rd. This did amuse my offspring.
It should be plug and play. After all, the dealers can manage it, so it can't be hard. (they would install a brand new unit though).
I want to list how I got it working, as much for my own record as for any one else doing this change.
  • I bought and installed a satnav antenna from a wrecker. $60. Easy, just take off the trim at the tailgate top and unbolt the base.
  • There is a blue female Fakra connector already behind the trim panel in the tailgate, next to the radio connector. I suspect it could have been used for a more elegant installation, but I couldn't see where it went in the car to eventually reach behind the dashboard and there are no readable details in the VF workshop manual.
  • Cut off the ebay gadget Nav antenna head from the cable to give me a Fakra C plug, since I could not find a Fakra connector anywhere, unless I waited several weeks from ebay from Chyyna.
  • So made my own cable with RG174 cable, soldered to the pigtail with Fakra from the ebay GPS antenna and a female SMB plug I already had. Heat shrink and layers and layers of insulation just in case.
  • Passed the cable down the car above the headlining to the back of the radio - removing the internal lights gave me 2 grab points.
  • Reset the f***ing radio via the interface - I reckon this point, in conjunction with a proper GPS signal is what finally made it work. Just disconnecting the battery did nothing. This suggested to me that the entertainment unit remembered something or expected something from the car it came from. Is there an input from the speed sensors for example or does it relearn somehow? Or is there a ghost inside the machine that needs to be retrained?
Now I have proper sat nav in a non-satnav car.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex