Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Satellite navigation evoke model

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
That does not specify that map updates will be made available for any period of time.

While it does state that the map data is updated periodically it does not specify a threshold of what information needs to change or how much needs to change for them to update it but it does state to check the availability and if there is no update available then tough luck.

You need actual literature that specifies "map updates will be provided for X time" or something along those lines.
I see what you are saying but that is not how I read the statement to me it implies that I will get updates. As I think most people would. Ripped Again Pass The PINEAPPLE

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@stooge, streets are created all the time as greenfield suburbs come into being. Posted speed limits also change as nanny’s take hold down under. Such activities will cause map data to be updated. Whether Holden wants to pick up the changes is the question...

The statement within the manual, as the average punter will read it, implies that when map data changes, which it will due to the above, Holden will be periodically make such updates available...

The service I talk about is this implied/stated periodic periodic map update. The fact one can type in a valid address in a 3 year old ”new” suburb where sat nav can’t find such a street to me mean that the sat nav does not work and can’t be relied on.

Problem is that Holden is in an “I don’t give a shite about customers” mode despite its obligations for periodic updates and any ACL consequences of not meeting such. The challenge is getting Holden to care about its reputation (they have none) and then have them abide by any adverse ruling they may get through court or tribunal process (they’ve almost finished packing up so doubt they’d even bother with law).

I’m definitely of the view that we’re screwed on this issue despite potentially having ACL grounds (which we’ll have to agree to disagree). Holden is probably being phoenixed as GMSV as we speak...

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
@srooge, streets are created all the time as greenfield suburbs come into being. Posted speed limits also change as nanny’s take hold down under. Such activities will cause map data to be updated.
These are not the map data updates referred-to in the owner's guide.
The map data updates referred-to in the owner's guide are the map updates held in the package which Holden produces.
Holden has not updated those maps; they are the same as they were in 2018. As per the guide, the dealer can also tell you this.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The service I talk about is this implied/stated periodic periodic map update. The fact one can type in a valid address in a 3 year old ”new” suburb where sat nav can’t find such a street to me mean that the sat nav does not work and can’t be relied on.

yes i agree its not reliable for any new areas/streets etc but it still works the same way it did at the time of purchase so according to acl it works as intended.

If you bought a navman in 2017 and it came with no updates and no guarantee of future updates or say 1 years worth of updates you cant use acl to try and force a solution in 2020 because it is no longer reliable, if it still works as it did at the time of purchase then there is no issue under acl.

If navman said map updates for 5 years and you only got 3 then that is a case because the product sold to you was not what you received.

Again unless you have something that specifically says gm guarantees future map updates acl will not cover you because in 2017 that 3 year old area did not exist or was not mapped so the sat nav is operating in the same way at the time of purchase.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
These are not the map data updates referred-to in the owner's guide.
The map data updates referred-to in the owner's guide are the map updates held in the package which Holden produces.
Holden has not updated those maps; they are the same as they were in 2018. As per the guide, the dealer can also tell you this.
It all comes down to what a normal person would consider is reasonable when reading the owners manual... For a normal person, I’d think reasonable would be for map updates to occur periodically give how roads and road speed limits periodically change around Australia. And with the update frequency being unstated, a reasonable person would base such on their experience which could mean an update frequency could be 4 times a year, could be yearly, could be every two years... but never would a reasonable person think map updates would occur never...

Yes, Holden is the decider of when they take a supplies frequently updated map data and massage it via some proprietary wrapping, so that it becomes the “changed map information“. But to read it as if Holden can decide to never provide a “changed map information” means that such a reading makes the whole Sat Nav support statement meaningless. If such is Holdens intent, then it’s a very misleading statement and such misleading statements would fall foul of ACL.

There is an implied intent as part of the vehicle purchase that Holden provide map updates that simply hasn’t been met by Holden.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe I'm just too cynical; but when I bought a car which didn't allow ME to do the map upgrades by downloading from a major map provider, I assumed it was stuck in the year I bought it in ... and it would surprise me if the average person wouldn't say the same (when not lying to try & talk a Holden dealer into a free map upgrade :)).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honestly, I thought a sat nav system in a $70,000 car, which if It was an option would be measured in the 1000’s of $, would at least be as good as a $350 portable unit. Sadly I believe it ain’t as good as a $350 portable unit :eek: And I also feel the average punter would think the same :oops:

But you're as old as your cynicism or as young as your dreams though in this internet connected world we all suffer some form of conformational bias cause we find the info we want to find. Guess we’re probably both biased one way or another and only a judge can sort it out :p

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Honestly, I thought a sat nav system in a $70,000 car, which if It was an option would be measured in the 1000’s of $, would at least be as good as a $350 portable unit. Sadly I believe it ain’t as good as a $350 portable unit :eek: And I also feel the average punter would think the same :oops:

But you're as old as your cynicism or as young as your dreams though in this internet connected world we all suffer some form of conformational bias cause we find the info we want to find. Guess we’re probably both biased one way or another and only a judge can sort it out :p

you can't really compare the standalone unit and the in car, although I understand the comparison to a point. it's not like you paid $70k for the GPS, you paid for the CAR.

The unit in the car needs to undergo quite a bit more development to integrate into the vehicle and still not end up costing the manufacturer considerably more money - margins are tight, and the GPS would be part of a global platform of vehicles. There is a reason shows like Top Gear are able to hop into supercars and make fun of the onboard infotainment in a million dollar vehicle - because infotainment hasn't been easy. Thank goodness Google and Apple are in that space now!

Having made all those excuses, yes map updates would be nice!!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The average punter wouldn't have much experience with in-car SatNav systems if they have that expectation ... in my (limited admittedly) experience, the systems in 6-digit-cost cars are usually not as good (certainly no better) as what you can buy for $300 down your local JB HiFi. Integration with the car's infotainment/controls is really the only place any standard-install system that I've ever seen is better than free map software for your 'phone. In fact, a mate with a Cayman GT4 (~$220k) was recently looking at methods of getting Car Play in his (2017 I think) car ... I didn't ask why, but as it already plays music & does the text-to-voice etc thing with messages, it can only be for the purpose of using the 'phone SatNav.