Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Saving fuel, ideas?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
(i have searched threads but nothing is really helping me out so far sorry, so i made this thread)

Hey Guys!

I have noticed fuel isn't going all too well and was wondering what i can do (besides driving style and where I'm driving) that will help the fuel consumption rate drop a bit?

I have heard that air filters can help out? (if so, is Pod filters or Panel filters better?)
Anything else you can recommend would be great! (things below $100 would be awesome...)

As always more performance and less fuel is always good :yeah:

Thanks guys

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
replace you O2 sensors, check/replace leads and plugs, replace the fuel filter, good quality oil and filter, all these things add up to good fuel consumption, and more power demands more fuel.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
as above

good set of plugs gaped at 1.5mm and leads, once done disconnect your negitive terminal for 1min to reset your controler (ecm)
check your battery and alternator charge rate anywere above 13v is good at idle
exhaust leaks before the o2 sensors
exhaust condition
air filter, i prefer the panel filter as it shelds away from the hot engine air (colder the air the better)
i use cruise control everywere and getting an average of 12.5l/100 town cycle (all 50m/h streets)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
(i have searched threads but nothing is really helping me out so far sorry, so i made this thread)

Hey Guys!

I have noticed fuel isn't going all too well and was wondering what i can do (besides driving style and where I'm driving) that will help the fuel consumption rate drop a bit?

I have heard that air filters can help out? (if so, is Pod filters or Panel filters better?)
Anything else you can recommend would be great! (things below $100 would be awesome...)

As always more performance and less fuel is always good :yeah:

Thanks guys

What do you call bad fuel consumption? - it may be normal. I usually add 47l every 300-350km in town and the same litres for 600km cruising at 110kph on long runs.
If I'm pedalling hard I may only get 250km for the same litres.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
the most i can get out of my vs is around 330 - 400kms thats with all brand new leads plugs oils, fuel filters, o2's, enclosed pod with cai, tb/plenum cleaned out, you name it ive done it lol gotta love the good old Thirsytec

VS304exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS BT1 5LTR ex police commisioners car
is it possible that a sub/amp uses more fuel.. my fuel economy has gone to **** since installing it, driving average i get like 200km out of 35litlres

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Maybe because your enjoying driving more and also not watching revs.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Short runs up to the shop and stop start driving eats my fuel.
Like Wogboyz just about changed everything, the car is running great my fuel consumption has improved slightly.
So that is about all u can do really have the car running at it`s best.

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
i get 380 - 500 depending on how im driving, and this is stop start traffic and hwy/mixed.

I also will get about 700 - 800 when travelling big trips. This is all on a buick, gotta change my leads and plugs still too.