Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Saving weight

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
p.s. being a smart arse is what i do :)..

its instinct haha

not much really, the most significant and easy one would be spare wheel, but really not worth it.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Hey hey

Just wondering where I can save weight if possible in my car without losing the back seat/ac/dash etc

Cheers
Michael

what do you weigh mate? any chance you could lose a few kgs? I mean a 10kg spare wheel is **** all but if you have a spare 20 you could run off then we're getting somewhere.
other ideas to make a street registered car lighter:
-Wear sandals instead of skate shoes.
-take the floor mats out.
-take the winding mechanisms out of the doors
-don't wear a cap (300grams saved)
-clear the coins out of the ashtray. in fact take the ashtray out.
-a full tank of fuel could be 80kg. run on empty as much as you can.
-valve caps on your wheels are good for a few grams.
-don't race after lunch (even worse after a steak dinner).
-if you are only doing a short run drain a couple of litres of coolant out.
-likewise for engine oil.
-get clear side indicators. the colour adds weight.

Or get a good tune or air filter or something that will give you the same gains. to make lightening worthwhile you'd have to do some serious work.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Diff gears, roller rockers, tune and a good suspension setup will make your car more fun to drive and keep it p-plate legal (well except for the rockers but who's gunna know?)

EDIT: Oops, turns out you are after free gains, not p-plate legalness. Good luck...

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
what do you weigh mate? any chance you could lose a few kgs? I mean a 10kg spare wheel is **** all but if you have a spare 20 you could run off then we're getting somewhere.
other ideas to make a street registered car lighter:
-Wear sandals instead of skate shoes.
-take the floor mats out.
-take the winding mechanisms out of the doors
-don't wear a cap (300grams saved)
-clear the coins out of the ashtray. in fact take the ashtray out.
-a full tank of fuel could be 80kg. run on empty as much as you can.
-valve caps on your wheels are good for a few grams.
-don't race after lunch (even worse after a steak dinner).
-if you are only doing a short run drain a couple of litres of coolant out.
-likewise for engine oil.
-get clear side indicators. the colour adds weight.

Or get a good tune or air filter or something that will give you the same gains. to make lightening worthwhile you'd have to do some serious work.

Hahaha. funny as

Yeah i agree with everyone else.

IMO if you aren't willing to take out the back seats etc. to reduce weight then you are wasting your time. Plus with a big heavy car like a commodore this sort of 'taking things out that i don't need' weight reduction is pretty pointless considering how heavy the car is compared to 'ricier' cars.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
If your after more power, if you bypass the a/c condensor (especially when it's not needed in winter) by getting a new belt, you'll get up to 20% more useable power! Even when the a/c is not on it still drains some of that generated power!

As for weight, there's really not that much, so dont worry about it.

Also, ratz26, got any details on what the spoiler actually does? And how much it actually helps at those speeds!? Had my VY up at like 200km/h and just over and it gripped and handled a lot better, not sure if the spoiler had anything to do with it LOL

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A 15inch steel wheel and tyre weighs 19kg !! The tyre weighs about half of that.
You would be stupid to do it, but if you take out the tyre you can also take out the jack...
Other things like engine cover, boot carpet, speakers , glove box, maccas wrappers, only half fill your wiper washer bottle, buy a smaller battery , ash trays as someone said, and that plastic splash gaurd under the radiator. Then get you angle grinder out and start cutting off bolts that stick out beyond the nut.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Personally, I wouldnt take anything out... too much effort for little to no gain, and all you'll be left with is a car that weighs a couple kg less (making no noticable difference) and a car thats less refined and nicely finished (taking out carpets etc.) especially seeing as its not for racing etc

just my view anyway

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
Diff gears, roller rockers, tune and a good suspension setup will make your car more fun to drive and keep it p-plate legal (well except for the rockers but who's gunna know?)

EDIT: Oops, turns out you are after free gains, not p-plate legalness. Good luck...

Already have full exhaust (pacemaker extractors, new Y piece, 2.5" from there on), MACE CAI, 1.98 rockers, using 98 fuel etc...

Seems as though half of you's are turds and half of you can actually help..

Last edited:

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack

As above, already started modding it. And also i weigh all of 50 kgs so no losing weight for me.