Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scan Tool Error Code

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Hey all plugged scan tool into my car today cause engine light kept popping up. Anyway got to errors, 1: Air Intake Temp High Voltage and 2: O2 Sensor reading lean
The light came on for the first time on saturday and the car just got extractors installed the tuesday before. Im not worried boutt the air intake temp cos i think that was to do with the fact i took my front intake pipe off and hot air was going into the box but i put it back on today.

Anyway just wondering if anyone could give some input on the O2 Sensor error. From what i could see the Sensors were re attacthed firmly so does this mean they're rooted? Or is the term lean refering to my air fuel mixture? Or am i up for new o2 sensors and if so how much am i looking at? Ive been told round 500 bucks.
Thanks

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
if you could provide an Error code for confirmation on what error it is as there is oxygen sensors 13,44,45,56,63,64 and 65 are all relating to oxygen sensors. but if you mean they are both running lean which is codes 44 and 64 it means that the oxygen sensor voltage remains below 0.2 volts for more then 46 seconds it triggers the check engine light.
basically the ECU cannot enrich the mix with more air so it often leads to your Air Intake. i would reset the ECU.

To reset. disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minimum of 10 seconds. then start the car and run it for approximately 15 minutes to make sure its remapped all its sensors and the air fuel mixture, then put the car in R, run it for one minute then to Drive run it for 1 minute then to 1st for 30 seconds, 2 for 30 seconds and then 3 for 30 seconds , this also means that the way it changes gears will change as well meaning that it will run smoother. the reason behind this is that when you get to the first corner of your trip every time, it will stall and give you error codes because it has not relearn't everything relating to your car.(old holden service tech told me this)

if this does not work and you get these codes again i would check the sensors. and maybe look at a replacement or take to a mechanic for further diagnostics.

Last edited:

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Sorry should of mentioned before the codes were 23 and 64 which is just left one. And thanks for your inpu fitz

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Code 64.
1. with the engine at normal operating temperature run it at 1600 to 1800 RPM, for Two Minutes Check the Voltage at ECU Terminal D15 (because of code 64)

2.If the Voltage is fluctuating between 0.1-0.9 volts, an intermittent fault is indicated check all wiring and wiring connectors

3. Disconnect relevant oxygen sensor wiring connector and check that approximetly 0.35 volts available at Terminal A of the with Ignition on.
If there is no voltage at terminal a check the wiring and connections between the Oxygen sensor and ECU. also check the ECU powersupply and Eath Circuits using wiring diagrams as i guide (i can provide these) repair any faults as necessary if not fault can be found renew ECU.
If there is more then 0.45 volts available at Terminal A diconnect the wiring connector and check voltage at terminal A if the voltage is still present check the wiring between the oxygen sensor and the ECU for a short to voltage repair as necessary.

4.If voltage is not 0.35-0.55 volts, check the wiring for a short to earth between terminal A and the ECU if no fault can be found renew ECU.

5.if the Voltage is 0.35-0.55 Volts check for continuity to earth at the oxygen sensor harness connector B, and the ECU connector terminal D16.

6. If not faults can be found a lean mixture may be present. check for the following possible causes.
Low Fuel Pressure, Contaminated Fuel, Fault Airflow Sensor, Blocked Injectors, Vacuum Leaks or exhaust leaks forward of the oxygen sensor.

7. if no faults can be found renew the relevant oxygen sensor.

Code 23 Air Temperature Sensor (Voltage High)
1. Disconnect Air Temperature Sensor Wiring Connector
2. With Ignition on Check Voltage between harness connector terminals.
If voltage is not approximately 5 volts check the wiring between the ECU and Air temperature sensor for continuity and shorts if no fault can be found replace ECU.
3. Check resistance Between Sensor terminals compared to specifications

Specifications.
At -5° 12.414 K/Ohms
At 10° 5.729 K/Ohms
At 20° 3.555 K/Ohms
At 30° 2.268 K/Ohms
At 40° 1.483 K/Ohms
At 70° 0.475 K/Ohms
At 90° 0.245 K/Ohms
At 100° 0.180 K/Ohms
At 110° 0.130 K/Ohms

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Thanks fitz for the very detailed guide muchly appreciated. Il look to get to it sometime this week andpost back how it goes.
Thanks again

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats cool anything i can help with, because i had the code 92 fairly easy to fix , the relay was buggered.