Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scan tool

Spac_on_crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Hi all,

I've never owned or worked with a scan tool. I brought a VS ute over the weekend that I want to tidy up and put away for a bit. I did some reading already, it's 96 build ute, I've attached a photo of the connector plug. I still don't know how to tell if it's obd1 with 2 connector, or if it's later 0bd2 ??

Internet says VS pre 97 was obd1 with 2 plug. Somewhere else it says all utes were OBD2.

Basically I just wanna buy a cheap sub $200 scanner that I knows going to work. I also have a Mitsi and you can't hook up any cheap scanners unfortunately there all about $2000 mark starting out, so I was hoping the commodore would be a different story and be able to get a cheapie.

Spac_on_crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Picture of connector

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_122747.jpg
    IMG_20220619_122747.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 113

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Internet says VS pre 97 was obd1 with 2 plug. Somewhere else it says all utes were OBD2.
All VSs are OBD1. All V6s up until the Alloytec are OBD1 and all EFI 304s are OBD1. It's just the physical plug that is OBD2 (I'm sure the plug has a standardized name) in shape.

Are you actually trying to diagnose something? You just need to get a scanner that says it supports the ALDL/OBD1 protocol, they exist but there are not a huge amount out there - Envyous customs also sells a cable. You won't be able to do a great deal with it though as the ECUs are pretty basic on their connectivity functionality, you can already pull the codes by bridging a couple of pins in the OBD connector and watching the engine light flash. Outside of that you can look at the engine data like speed and probably see some sensor voltages, but that's about it.

What year and model is your Mitsubishi? Generally the OBD protocols are standardized, so unless it's something super new with it's own proprietary protocol you shouldn't need to get anything particularly pricey. The $20 ebay one I bought worked on my beater, but it's kinda old now.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi all,

I've never owned or worked with a scan tool. I brought a VS ute over the weekend that I want to tidy up and put away for a bit. I did some reading already, it's 96 build ute, I've attached a photo of the connector plug. I still don't know how to tell if it's obd1 with 2 connector, or if it's later 0bd2 ??

Basically I just wanna buy a cheap sub $200 scanner that I knows going to work. I also have a Mitsi and you can't hook up any cheap scanners unfortunately there all about $2000 mark starting out, so I was hoping the commodore would be a different story and be able to get a cheapie.
Its obd 1 with the obd11 connector.

Here is a link to cheap scan tool. Its called an Vident i400au. Does both obd1 & obd11. But l dont know if it does Mitsubishi?
Hre is a link to it. https://www.azscanners.com.au/viden...MIh6mKu8O4-AIVkppmAh3RiQ2QEAAYASAAEgLU0PD_BwE

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Should probably clarify what I mean by "you won't be able to do a great deal with it" given I say I have a $20 scanner in the next sentence.

The V6s ECU (and by extension all the Buick/Ecotec based V6 ECUs) has it's roots in the 80s so electronically it's a fairly basic unit. The ECU is more than capable to do most stuff you want it to do for no frills tuning, but the onboard diagnostics and service functions just aren't a thing on these cars - i.e. there's nothing you actually need a scanner for (or could really do with one anyway), unless you're doing some very specific trouble shooting with engine data. You might (a very big might) get some Tech1 functionality out of the more advanced scanners but that's about it, not that there's a whole lot to configure there either.

If I was going to buy one I'd be trying to look for one that does (or can do with upgrades) a variety of other cars like what Lex posted so that value preposition and actual usefulness is a lot better.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Should probably clarify what I mean by "you won't be able to do a great deal with it" given I say I have a $20 scanner in the next sentence.

The VRs ECU (and by extension all the Buick based V6 ECUs) has it's roots in the 80s so electronically it's a fairly basic unit. The ECU is more than capable to do most stuff you want it to do for no frills tuning, but the onboard diagnostics and service functions just aren't a thing on these cars - i.e. there's nothing you actually need a scanner for (or could really do with one anyway). You might (a very big might) get some Tech1 functionality out of the more advanced scanners but that's about it, not that there's a whole lot to configure there either.

If I was going to buy one I'd be trying to look for one that does (or can do with upgrades) a variety of other cars like what Lex posted so that value preposition and actual usefulness is a lot better.
He says he has vs, as in ecotec?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
He says he has vs, as in ecotec?
Yeah, had another thread on the mind. The VS ECUs still have their beginnings those 80s ECUs though, so still applies.

Reactions: Lex

Spac_on_crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm not trying to diagnose anything in particular, all though it does want to stall on cold starts, I haven't serviced anything on it yet just drove it back.

I just thought a scanner might save me some trouble shooting one day. I've owned 2 VPs before but that was over a decade ago. I'm familiar to some point with them on most basic stuff, I guess I'll just bridge the pins and count the flashes. A tool just would have been handy

Spac_on_crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
What year and model is your Mitsubishi? Generally the OBD protocols are standardized, so unless it's something super new with it's own proprietary protocol you shouldn't need to get anything particularly pricey. The $20 ebay one I bought worked on my beater, but it's kinda old now.
01 mirage. I asked on Mitsi forums and they replies were no cheap scanners.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Its obd 1 with the obd11 connector.

Here is a link to cheap scan tool. Its called an Vident i400au. Does both obd1 & obd11. But l dont know if it does Mitsubishi?
Hre is a link to it. https://www.azscanners.com.au/viden...MIh6mKu8O4-AIVkppmAh3RiQ2QEAAYASAAEgLU0PD_BwE
Vident is the cheapest thing that does ALDL, but I don't recommend it for a VS. The transmission data is all screwed up, they must have the wrong data definitions. So I have to use Tunerpro RT on a laptop to get any diagnostics. It also doesn't talk to the ABS. Seemed to work okay on an Astra though (OBD2). Maybe if you have a garage with various years of Holden/Opels it might be worth it.