Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scan tool

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably the best one going is AED from Envyous Customs. It show trans and engine data, which can help in fault finding when the paperclip only tells you an issue once it's logged. I used it to diagnose faulty O2 sensors that were new but running out of spec but not faulty enough to log a code until they went really bad.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Vident is the cheapest thing that does ALDL, but I don't recommend it for a VS. The transmission data is all screwed up, they must have the wrong data definitions. So I have to use Tunerpro RT on a laptop to get any diagnostics. It also doesn't talk to the ABS. Seemed to work okay on an Astra though (OBD2). Maybe if you have a garage with various years of Holden/Opels it might be worth it.
Mate your comment about the Vident screwing up the trans data because of wrong definitions.
Is that just for the VS? I've got an i400 and the main reason that I brought it was because it was supposedly for Holdens and probably the best scanner l could get under $400 for our VE. Cheers mate.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Before 2005/06 all commodores used a Holden-designed diagnostic protocol that wasn't compatible with any of the standard OBD systems that the rest of the world adopted.

OBD1 is a loose term that just means an ECU that has self-diagnostic capability and uses common numbers to identify faults. There is no 'standard' OBD1 protocol for scan tools - all manufacturers designed their own systems.

In fact, Australia only made OBD2 mandatory in 2005 (9 years after the rest of the first-world). This is why your 2001 Mitsubishi isn't compatible with OBD2. Some manufacturers adopted OBD2 early, and some held out to the last minute due to cost.

Holden let us all down in this area.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
ALDL is the language not the kind of port, hence the name (Assembly Line Diagnostic Language)

While the OBD2 is the same physical port, the VR/S talks over a differnet language, 90% of scan tools can't read ALDL languages.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Before 2005/06 all commodores used a Holden-designed diagnostic protocol that wasn't compatible with any of the standard OBD systems that the rest of the world adopted.

What about V8 VT II?

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
You might be right with V8s - not sure with this.
V6s waited until 2005/06.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I understand the L to be Link.
Correct you are, still a programming language thats broadcast over the port though.

Too many people see the diagnostic port and just go "well it's the same as every other car" and buys an OBD scanner.

Nissan also used their own protocol over an OBD2 shaped port called Consult for a long while.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Mate your comment about the Vident screwing up the trans data because of wrong definitions.
Is that just for the VS? I've got an i400 and the main reason that I brought it was because it was supposedly for Holdens and probably the best scanner l could get under $400 for our VE. Cheers mate.
I only have 2 VS, haven't tested it on later models. VE would be completely different, so any bugs for VS shouldn't affect the VE.