Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN idle 1988 hunting

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Just started up my fresh build S1 VN motor, primed up for about 1 min no plugs before starting and seems OK.
I have an oil light if i use the new oil sensor i bought but using the old sensor the light goes out straight away so maybe they sold me a ecotec sensor?
Checked for oil with sensor out and plenty of oil at the port.

I am scared a bearing will spin because im not seeing oil at the rockers and they seem noisy... I dropped just a bit of oil out the sump and not seeing any shiny boys in the film.

I checked cam bearing orientation before assembling the motor and all ports were in the right spot

I have upgraded to moly pushrods, new lifters, double valve springs and new retainers on stock cam, could they just be noisy? i put assembly lube on the rocker journals and soaked the lifters in oil

The rockers are just metal on metal ones they have no like cage needle things in the middle bolt part

It sorta sounded like it was knocking for half a second after warming up but now sounds good???

Thoughts??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Possibly a fault new sensor.

To be sure, be sure, fit a proper pressure gauge to measure oil pressure. I think the factory idiot light goes out at only 4-5psi where as these engines idle with 20+ psi and run much more.

I would recommend upgrading the oil pressure spring in the pump to a ecotec one as they have more oil pressure than the early V6 motors.

On a fresh motor it will take a little time for the oil to work it's way up to the top of the motor, I always use molly lube on the ends of the pushrods to ensure no metal on metal wear during initial start up.

You did get hollow push rods?

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Possibly a fault new sensor.

To be sure, be sure, fit a proper pressure gauge to measure oil pressure. I think the factory idiot light goes out at only 4-5psi where as these engines idle with 20+ psi and run much more.

I would recommend upgrading the oil pressure spring in the pump to a ecotec one as they have more oil pressure than the early V6 motors.

On a fresh motor it will take a little time for the oil to work it's way up to the top of the motor, I always use molly lube on the ends of the pushrods to ensure no metal on metal wear during initial start up.

You did get hollow push rods?

Yeah standard replacements but moly heavy duty, i checked them before install also. I was gonna install the stiffer spring but decided against it as i couldnt find enough info on its longterm usage

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
I borrowed an oil pressure gauge from work and shows 41psi just above idle maybe 1300rpm when you plug it into the sensor port.

Its def not knocking but the valves seem a little noisy still... they are recon S1 heads 3/8 rockers i assembled with crow 7332 springs

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 motors have double springs, they need oil as the coils rub on each other so that might cause some noise till the oil gets up to the heads.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
S1 motors have double springs, they need oil as the coils rub on each other so that might cause some noise till the oil gets up to the heads.
So are you saying to grab an oil can and get a bit of oil in there with the rocker covers off? Oil up the springs etc while the motors is running?

@op you can run the engine with the rockers off ok at low revs for a short time. The odd spatter of oil might smoke off on the headers.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Double springs yes, definitely a bit of oil on them during assembly. Hell, I always oil the springs, seats and retainers etc. Nothing dry on first start up :)

Even single springs with dampers should have oil on them as the damper works in part by the friction between the spring and damper coils.

Lubrication is life :)

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am now seeing very good oil activity at the rockers, what i thought was knocking is the flex plate or torque converter ******* around.

New problem though is i sometimes get an engine light, when i bridge and cycle ignition it flashes 1, 3, 1, 3, 1, 3 then 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 ,2 so i figure code 13 and 22 ?

I have swapped the TPS and code still shows up but its running much better than the NEW tps.

Oxygen sensor i have no idea cause the wires look ok and its only a year old

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
The electrical connections to sensors may check out okay with resistance but be causing problems........don't discount if everything appears okay but you get error codes.

Had issues like this settle after a short time after loom disconnections etc.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have not seen the TPS light again since changing it, Or the oxygen sensor light either but there is still a small misfire, im thinking either the memcal is wrong or fuel side is a bit crap...

The knocking sound is still there man, its more like a lifter really than a knock.
I pulled the pan off and all looked good, checked torque of all bolts/studs a few were out of spec after heat cycling a few nm/ft lb but none fully loose. They were defo all in spec when i built it.

Got a video here of the sound im getting. Sound is most evident past the 25 second mark