Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scat rods

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
hi guys,
iv got a set of scat h-beamsfor my 355 stroker, i hav emailed the scat team regarding the correct installation of the rods and emailed a photo of the only visible difference that mite determine the correct way.
the guy at scat emailed me back the photo with his added custom drawing to tell me how to install, i hav attched it to the thread because it doesn't make sense to me, if someone could shed some light it would be much appreciated,
or if anyone has these rods and hav installed them before...

regards.

Attachments

• conrod.jpg
    conrod.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 204

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
Pretty much as the diagram shows, the cap on the rod only goes on one way, the bearing locating tangs are on the same side.

bit hard to explaine over the net, easyer to show in person, but il try my best.

place the bearings in the cap and rod, (make sure both bearing and con rod faces are clean) locate the bearings in, on the bearing there will be a bigger chamfer on the other side, that chamfer is to face the fillet on the bearing journal on crank (bascially to clear the radius) they all go the same way on one bank and they are opposite on the other bank.

Hope this helps

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
hi rvk355, by chamfer are you referring to the cut out opposite the locating tabs on each bearing? are they the things in the diagram facing outwards or does he mean the bearing locating tab to face outwards?
i don't quite understand what is said by that chamfer is to face the fillet on the bearing journal?
sorry if its hard to explain but im so confused :-(

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
ok in that picture you posted the picture on the left surround by the purple triangle is the chamfer this needs to face outwards on the journal. I.E> towards the counterweight (easy way to describe it) where the radius is. By fillet he means where the counterweight and the journal meet

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
as per what pub247 said and yes the chamfer opposite side to the location tab, you will notice in the packet that half the bearings will be the opposite to the other half in regards to the chamfer and location tab

exactly the same principal if you was using standard holden rods.

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
thanx pub and rvk... i'll attempt it in the nxt couple of days... sorry guys im just a bit nervous assembling coz its my engine and not sum randoms... thanx heaps

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
well with the replies im alot more confident to install them, the rest of the assembly im confident in so far... except the pistons, iv got probe industrie forged dish tops and iv emailed probe regarding the correct way to face them because there is no mark except on the underneath side one side is raised, if you could take a look and c what you recon, the purple box shows where it raises like a triangle top... its only these two parts thats holding me back from getting my baby on the road...
cheers

Attachments

• piston.JPG
    piston.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 116

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
can you show a picture of the top aswell? my first thought it that it would go to the inside of the bore but im not to sure on second thoughts.

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
iv got a foto of every angle, hope this helps, iv noticed next to the pin there is a machined gouge on both sides of the pin and on every piston one gouge is bigger than the other, dunno if that tells you anything???

Attachments

• Image000.jpg
    Image000.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg