Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

School zones in school holidays

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
The school changes it? ACT are weird.....

I'd imagine that you'd still have to do the posted speed. It's a long shot but they could argue that the signs remain because of a school holiday program or something. Happens here on the very odd occasion.
If you have to do it daily and it upsets you greatly ring the council or police and see if they can fix it for you. It's either planned or an oversight so they'll either change it or won't!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Does it say in school times only?

I once got a fine doing 61 in a 40 zone, problem is it was on a school holiday. Wasnt hard to challenge, beauty is vic states "On School days only".

Jon, many country schools have self moderated school zones in where the crossing hag changes the limit.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Jon - Dunno, I just assumed that the school did... saves someone driving around to every school in ACT changing the signs.

It doesn't say 'school days only' it just says 'Mon - Fri 8:00am to 4:00pm'. There is 3 parts to the sign.. the top is orange (I think) and says SCHOOL ZONE. The middle is the speed limit and the bottom is the days and times. The two bottom sections and hinged so they can cover them up when holidays are on.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Does it say in school times only?

I once got a fine doing 61 in a 40 zone, problem is it was on a school holiday. Wasnt hard to challenge, beauty is vic states "On School days only".

Jon, many country schools have self moderated school zones in where the crossing hag changes the limit.

ahh yes and the crossing hag is council owned fortunately. I'd still suggest doing the posted limit either way. Like i said there are those odd occasions where the signs are still there for a reason, although i don't think that is true in troy's case - just an oversight i reckon.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
in sa we got to many school zones all differnt
1 school flags out means 25kph
2 lights flashing anytime 25 kph
sign saying 25kph only when children pressent (thats anytime any day even 6pm)
sign saying school crossing ahead what for sign (like durr)
then ya have traffic lights that the schools run in mornings and arvos
so in sa just do 25 anywhere near a school 24/7

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I should also add that this particular school zone is also a cop hot spot.. that's why I am asking.. I heard that they got 35 or 40 drivers in 45 minutes. No one does 40 cos it's double lanes in both directions separated by a median strip.. I think people either don't realise or don't give a ****.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
SA speed limits don't change.

There 40k's, or other than that theres 2 signs, 25 when lights flashing, or 25 when children present.

Personally i just go slower near school zones anyway, an extra 3 minutes on my travel time....
Even 40 can do damage to a kid, and with parents these days, kids have no road sense.

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
i'm lucky, all the schools near me have the LED signs, which they do change according to holidays