Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scraping noise on front left brake

liammackie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi guys,

My VF SV6 is having a strange issue. While I drive, there's a low scraping sound (as if the pads/tin from anti-squeal are in contact with the rotor). The noise stops as I brake, and as I start moving again, it starts again. It seems to get softer then louder, dependent on the speed you go, but never stops.

I just replaced the rotor and brake pads because I assumed it was the indicator (done plenty of Ks). The noise is still persisting!

I'm stumped with this one! Any help is appreciated!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
When you replaced the pads/rotors did you check the caliper could slide easily on the bracket slide pins? Possible sticking caliper.

Also check for movement/play in the wheel bearing hub.

liammackie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
When you replaced the pads/rotors did you check the caliper could slide easily on the bracket slide pins? Possible sticking caliper.

Also check for movement/play in the wheel bearing hub.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I did check the caliber could slide, and seemed fine. How would I go checking for movement in the wheel bearing hub? See if the rotor assembly wobbles if I push/pull on it whilst jacked?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jack up the side of the car that is playing up, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 Oclock and see if there is any movement.

liammackie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Jack up the side of the car that is playing up, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 Oclock and see if there is any movement.
Thanks! I just did, and there's no movement.

I'm thinking that there may be a part of my caliper that's messed up. I'm gonna give it a huge clean and inspection tomorrow or later tonight if I can be assed. Thanks heaps for your help immortality!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A can of Brake clean or high pressure water is the best way to clean, don't blow with compressed air as brake dust isn't that great for the lungs.

CB750

Reaction score
Members Ride
US MY 2014 Chevrolet SS
Bent anti-rattle clip rubbing against the rotor.