Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scratching brake noise

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Hey there guys
After driving my car stop-start for a little while, i can hear a scratching noise when the brakes are applied with usual force. it won't happen for the first few times i slow down, but it gets louder and more frequent the more often i have to slow down. more force on the pedal makes it louder as well.
normally i'd suggest the pads, but we've checked them all multiple times and they are not worn down enough to warrant replacing.
anyone have any suggestions about what might be causing it, and how i could fix it. it's not overly dangerous for driving, as it still pulls up safely, it's just irritating as hell and doesn't sound good for the brakes.
cheers
CC

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Only thing I can suggest is to swap pads on the calipers - this will reverse their direction....also rub their surface with sandpaper to roughen them up as maybe they acted strange during the "bedding in" process. Another thought - - are the caliper slides sticking.
Maybe it's just the pads you are using - one with a high metal content are noisy.

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Only thing I can suggest is to swap pads on the calipers - this will reverse their direction....also rub their surface with sandpaper to roughen them up as maybe they acted strange during the "bedding in" process. Another thought - - are the caliper slides sticking.
Maybe it's just the pads you are using - one with a high metal content are noisy.

Cheers Hako, I hadn't thought about taking them out and swapping them around or anything. I've had the car for 3 and a half years and never had to change them, so I don't know how they did the bedding in procedure. I know some pads require a certain method of bedding in but I have no idea if mine did or not.
What do you mean when you say the caliper slides might be sticking? How could I tell and how could I fix it if it is the case?

I couldn't even tell you what brand they are so i have no idea bout the metal content. Never knew that but it's handy to know when choosing new ones.
Cheers again mate
CC

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
have you checked the slide pins to make sure the caliper is not distorting ..?

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
can u translate that to noob mate, im completely useless when it comes to technical terms lol
cheers bud