Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scratchs and buffing question

vee-y

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Commodore sedan
just gave the new vy a much needed wash and found that it has dozens of these style of scratchs all over the car.

just wandering if these might come out with a proper buffing by a detailer or if a need to touch up spray all the basterd things?

thanks all
13124771_251145815240496_6123215527347049292_n.jpg

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Have a look at this youtube video I found it helpful

Last edited by a moderator:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Most if not all those scratches look fairly light. Short answer, Yes, a GOOD detailer will be able to remove them by paint correction which is preformed using a few different grades of polishing compound and foam pads. It will probably need a chemical decontamination and clay bar prior, and they should apply a sealant over the top to protect the paintwork.
Be prepared to pay $250+ for it though.

Beware any "detailer" who offers a cut and polish as they will probably put a heap of swirl marks, holograms and buffer trails in the paint, then cover it up with a glaze.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Grab some Kitten No.1 polish for $10 at Supercheap and have a go yourself. That stuff works wonders and will come close to removing most of those, depending how deep. Do all your window rubbers, plastics and headlights with it too :)

vee-y

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Commodore sedan
Grab some Kitten No.1 polish for $10 at Supercheap and have a go yourself. That stuff works wonders and will come close to removing most of those, depending how deep. Do all your window rubbers, plastics and headlights with it too :)

is it easy to screw the paint more if you have no idea about cutting and polishing?

thats what im wworried about lol

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
is it easy to screw the paint more if you have no idea about cutting and polishing?

thats what im wworried about lol

Yes.

It actually takes a bit of skill and knowledge/practice to do it properly. You can do it yourself but knowing some basic rules helps.
Most off the shelf stuff is pretty weak to be honest, just don't use an old school cutting compound as they aren't designed for clear coats and will scratch the crap out of it.

To do it yourself.
Start with a Good wash and remove any tar while you are at it.
A clay bar with heaps of lube is pretty much mandatory before polishing as if there is any dirt stuck to the paint if could come off during the polishing stage and scratch the paint.
Polish in a closed environment, or at least a still day, out of sunlight.
Never use rags or terry towels for this. Microfibre cloths all the way. And fold them to wipe of residue, don't scrunch them up.

And find a good pure polish as most off the shelf polishes will lightly polish but also hide the scratches until the car is washed again, then the scratches will show again.
I don't use anything from Supercheap/Autobarn etc as its pretty ordinary. However Meguires Scratch x is alright.

I would be suggesting going to a proper detailing supply shop and getting some Polish from them if you wanted to do it yourself. I like Menzerna, but 3M and the Meguires Pro stuff isn't too bad.

Lastly remember to wax the car to help protect it from bugs/tar/crap etc

R8-VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
A tip I got from an old school spray painter ,is to buff your car using cornflour best thing for getting rid of swirl marks.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
A tip I got from an old school spray painter ,is to buff your car using cornflour best thing for getting rid of swirl marks.

Or you could do it the right way.