Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

screeching wiper blades

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What I really need is a big truck to drive past and flick up a decent stone....... I have free windscreen cover.
Just tailgate some old trucks through road works.

Or just throw a rock at your screen and say you pulled into a carpark near a hill and a 4x4 was driving up a dirt path and it flung a rock at your car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What I really need is a big truck to drive past and flick up a decent stone....... I have free windscreen cover.
Have arm, rock and poor eyesight... problem solved...
Sorry ami, I didn’t see the trailers rego number :eek:

(I’d never do such as I don’t have windscreen coverage)

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Try the glass polish I suggested mate something like crc glass doctor or similar it’s slightly abrasive like a cutting compound you’d use on paint worked well on my ve’s windscreen and that was doing it by hand would be even better with a da polisher

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
Apply a hydrophobic repellent to the winscreen and simply drive faster when it's raining, no wipers needed :p :rolleyes:

Seriously, Rain-X is rather good at getting water off the windsceen at >60kph but sometimes will make squeeky wipers worse, other times it will sometimes stop squeeks, it all depends on the wiper insert's compound and angles its dragged across the windscreen.

Squeeky chattering blades can be caused by contaminants on the glass so give the windscreen a really good clean. If the winscreen is really clean and the blades are still noisy, this can also be caused by the wiper blades not being pulled accross the windscreen correctly (they should be pulled not pushed). Such noise usually ocurs on either the upward stroke or the downward stroke because the top part of the wiper arm that holds the blade is not parrallel with the glass. To correct this, you can try twisting the wiper arm a little and get the arm and thus the blade at the correct angle.

So try cleaning, then the arm bending and then the rain-x.
The following video may be helpful with the arm bending.

I find RainX upsets my night vision and causes a halo like effect.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
As far as windscreen replacement is concerned, any windscreen place will just do the job and charge it to your insurance company. There's no big deal about "who's done what to whom" anymore. If your screen is unserviceable, eg. majorly pitted etc. it's eligible for replacement anyway and any windscreen place that won't do your insurance side of things for you is one to walk away from and thus find another one that will.

They are generally not in the business of being the "Windscreen Police". They want the business, so they'll do what needs to be done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bought some 0000 steel wool from Bunnings last night. Working on other things so haven't given it a rub yet.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d suggest removing the wiper assembly and giving it a clean up.

It’s possible the motor isn’t what it used to be and the linkages might have a bit of wear or sockets might have dried out. A bit of play in things and the screeching might be happening easier than it once did of the motor and mechanisms have some friction to push through. In other words, friction elsewhere other than the blades and windscreen.

Not sure if you can get new motors anymore?

You can pry the arms off and clean everything out. Maybe a paint to get some extra mileage out of it all. I use bearing grease into the sockets.

Put back together and try that. (Get a photo of how it was all pisitioned before hand.

It’s just that fragile plastic cover over the wiper scuttle though :(
I heard there are fibreglass ones around, but they have a poor fit?

Don’t soak the blades in armoural. It degrades the blade material (and dash , trim plastics, seals etc) long term. Use aerospace 303 though, which does not degrade plastics and rubber, but instead rejuvenates them and gets more life from them. Keeps them soft.

Careful with the steel wool method, but it can be a good first step if done carefully. I’ve seen it not work out well a few times.
Maguiars glass polish after that.
Then a hybrid ceramic spray (only because of cost) I use Turtle Wax and Maguiars Hybrid Ceramic sealants.
Then Rainex across the windscreen, which if applied correctly and wiped up well with microfibres won’t cause vision problems at night. If a residue is left, it will.

Try the flexible blade style wiper blades found on newer cars as well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It'll definitely be the screen. Using that super fine (0000) steel wool with running water all over the screen and I think you'll have solved the issue.
This and a tub of water did the trick. I also used cutting compound but now I have a mess to clean up. The compound wasn't needed. I tested wipers and even on a dry windscreen they no longer screetch.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I bought some 0000 steel wool from Bunnings last night. Working on other things so haven't given it a rub yet.
Hey mate have you got a link for that steel wool? Haven’t heard of it before