Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Screwdriver sets, what's best?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've always used the good old Stanley box set with the green and yellow handles and a few other odd screwdrivers for working on cars and whatever else I do.
They all look good to start with but soon enough the tips start to round off and become useless on anything super tight and start munching the heads of screws.

So now I'm wanting a decent set that will stay sharp for a long time and be nice to use.
What brands are the best? I see them on eBay in all the big brands, VDE, Wiha, Stahlwille, Teng Crescent Stanley KC ...you name it. Then there's Repco and all the local stuff.
Will a $200 set be any better than an Irwin set from Bunnings? What would you buy?

Last edited:

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
image.jpeg
I've had a set of these for about six years and they are still going strong. Good feel in your hand. I remember buying the old Stanley set back in the 90s as an apprentice and I reckon they were more expensive then to now. Still got a couple left so wonder about the quality these days, Stanley used to make half decent tools.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah the Australian made Stanleys were great. I still have 4 or 5 left from my old set bought 30 years ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I like the idea of magnetic tips that some now have. Better tan a blob of blutack.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I like the idea of magnetic tips that some now have. Better tan a blob of blutack.
Lol, yeah I hope to get something a bit better than a blob of blutack!
All the good stuff seems to have hardened black magnetic tips now. The German stuff is probably the best..

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Stahlwille is really good. Or just the cheap Stanley set from Bunnings if your on a budget

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Make sure you get the tang thru type so you can belt them with hammers without breaking the handle.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Make sure you get the tang thru type so you can belt them with hammers without breaking the handle.
I would never pay decent money for a set of screwdrivers and hit them with a hammer - I just can't justify replacing them.

I have a good SP tools set that I've had for 6 years now, and they're still perfect - they've been given a hard time but have never been hit. For the times where I need to use a hammer, I use these:

1fa36b35-e97e-4e7c-b57f-cf60a914a8a9.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-7-piece-screwdriver-set_p6060081

They're under $15 for a set and have served me well for over a year so far - and if they do break I won't mind paying to replace them.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
My screwdrivers are dollys, pinch bars, chisels, wedges, centre punches and sometimes even a screwdriver!

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've got some like that but now I want some good ones just for screws...!