Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scrubbing Tyres

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
Hey fellas,

Got a bit of a query. I currently have 245/35/19 tyres with 'low' king springs on the rear under load or going to fast of a bump causes it to scrub.

Would putting 235/35 /19 stop this issue? As I don't want to have to roll the guards if i don't have to.

Cheers guys!

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Should not scrub with just lows, what's the offset on the rims?

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
I think the offset is 40+ not 100% sure

It doesn't scrub when only I'm in the car but when I have some mates in the back it scrubs under acceleration and around corners.

I know there is people on here with superlows and 19s and don't have scrubbing issues, so confused.

Last edited:

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
Anybody have any ideas?

Not sure if this info will help but on the back of the rims it says:
ET 40
19 x 8 1/2 JJ

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
I have 245/35/19 and no scrubbing etc with superlows and with people in the back but my offset is P45 which is 5mm further in from the wheel arch than your P40 offset
so maybe that 5mm difference is why its scrubbing. Get your mates to lose a few kilos or just roll the lip only on the rear guards a bit which is maybe cheaper than new tyres.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I had 235/35R19 on VY sigs 19x8 48P (or et48) you should have no issues.

does it rub on the body or the inside?? that would help. if its the inside you may have too much neg camber and need a camber kit and wheel alignment.

Ive seen guys with 275s on 9.5 rims under VTs and im pretty sure they didnt need a guard roll

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
Thanks for the replies guys. I think you're rught about the camber, I do have a fair amount of negative camber but don't seem to have uneven wear?
Anyways, just had a guys offer me a set of roh 17" rims with new tyres and 17" vy ss rims with average tyres. For my 19s so reckon ill take him up on that offer, hopefully I dont keep having this problem.

Cheers

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Thanks for the replies guys. I think you're rught about the camber, I do have a fair amount of negative camber but don't seem to have uneven wear?
Anyways, just had a guys offer me a set of roh 17" rims with new tyres and 17" vy ss rims with average tyres. For my 19s so reckon ill take him up on that offer, hopefully I dont keep having this problem.

Cheers

dude

your gonna swap 245/35R19s on 19x8.5s 40P for 235/45R17 17x8s that are 48P???

Untitled_zps6f516ee8.jpg

If there rubbing on the inside that's not gunna fix your problem and the 19s stick out 15mm more then the VY SS wheels will

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
Im not quite sure what you mean? The way I understand it (please correct me)
1) smaller rim will decrease the amount of camber?
2) smaller rim, smalller width tyre, wont it be narrower?
3) being genuine holdens would they noy have correct offset?

Ive been wanting tp swap for genuine holdens for a while now especially vy ss as theyre my favorit, so may as well do it as it won't cost me anything. If I have the same problem a camber kit will be installed. Theyre not cheap though are they?

Thanks for the help!